What's new

win 7 disconnects starting with 380.69

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

retzer

Occasional Visitor
Hi. I have a dilemma. I have a legacy Win 7 machine that I just love. I got a RT-AC68W about a year ago and everything was fine except that the Win 7 machine would disconnect at random intervals. I searched for a solution and eventually solved the problem by limiting the channel bandwidth to 20 MHz on the 2.8 GHz band. I upgraded the firmware through 380.68.4 and things worked without a hitch. Then just before Christmas I upgraded to firmware version 380.69, which is when the random disconnects returned. We also had a smart thermostat installed about the same time and I thought maybe that was a problem so I turned it off for several days but the random disconnects persisted. I uploaded the new 384 firmware and the disconnects seemed just as bad or worse. Just wondering if you've heard this from others and if there is a fix other than downgrading the firmware back to 68.4 permanently.

Did you do a factory reset after upgrading to 384 ? If not strange things will happen .

Thank you for your reply, it's much appreciated. I'm updating in the hopes it helps someone down the line. I solved my Windows 7 disconnects from router / Win 7 doesn't hold a connection problem. When configuring the router the channel bandwidth for 2.4 GHz must be changed from default to 20MHz only. I also went into my wireless card (Intel Centrino Wireless N-2200) properties through the device manager and under advanced set the 802.11N channel width to 20MHz from auto. I have since upgraded to a clean install of Asuswrt Merlin 384.3 with that tweak in my configuration and it's been all smiles so far. Thank you again for your interest.