Win10 file sharing woes

elenhil

Occasional Visitor
Hi!

I wonder if this is the place to get help with my issue (not the verbosity one).

I have had trouble setting up file sharing on my home network (wireless laptop + wired desktop, both running Win10 v21H2, with RT-AC66U B1 Asusrt-Merlin v386.5_2 in between) in the past. It seemed to be a thing of the past until I did a factory reset on my router. To all intents and purposes, the only thing that changed was that I switched from 192.168.0.x to 192.168.1.x, but filesharing became one-way only.

That is, only my desktop can now access my laptop, not vice-versa.

I did check the usual services. I did check network discovery services (and whether both PCs see this as a private network). I did try both password- and passwordless access settings. I did try renaming my homegroup. Nothing seems to work.

For completeness' case: my previous issues went away when I switched to password-protected access and added the laptop's users on my desktop. But since nothing seemed to have changed there (only the router setting), I cannot fathom how a previously accessible desktop could have become inaccessible. Changing back to passwordless didn't help.

Any Ideas where to look?

degrub

Very Senior Member
can you ping both ways without issue ?
all devices show up on the network map in windows for each device ?
changing the network address probably broke the link mapped in folder sharing.

elenhil

Occasional Visitor
Aha! It just occurred to me to try entering the IP address directly - and it worked!

The old name doesn't, though. And neither is it visible on the network map. But the IP workaround is very much workable!

Thanks for inspiring this one :)

elenhil

Occasional Visitor
OK, this is back and is driving me nuts. To start with, the desktop is not visible on the network map. And to conclude with - it is no longer accessible. Again.

The best I managed is make the laptop ask for user credentials, after which it's error 0x80070035 (network path not found) again.

degrub

Very Senior Member
since this may be a setting issue in your reset router, i would post in the Merlin subforum.