What's new

Windows Home Server, Microsoft Sharepoint Services 3.0, and Remote Access

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mpoliver

New Around Here
Hello,

I successfully installed and setup Microsoft Sharepoint Services 3.0 on my Windows Home Server box and have successfully configured it (port forwarded) for access from the internet. However, after doing this I can no longer use my Remote Access to the Home Server as it seems the connection has been broken (as reported by my Home Server control panel). The router I am using is the Linksys WRT600N. My question is this:

Can I still use remote access to access and configure my Home Server while traveling or am I constrained by the port forwarding on the router to only one service (i.e., Remote Access or Microsoft Sharepoint Services 3.0)? The port forwarding set on the router for both services would be going to the same IP address of .108 (for the Home Server box).

If I can use both service with access from the internet, can someone tell me the best way to set it up?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mike

I'm not familiar with Windows Home Server....but a similar issue can happen with Microsoft Small Business Server...which has a remote access portal called Remote Web Workplace. It's a web browser based portal which runs on ports 443 (https) and 4125. From the initial portal main page, you can then get access to your Exchange mailbox via Outlook Web Access (OWA), Sharepoint 2.0 (comes with SBS), as well as a "connect to my computer" function which redirects people to their desktops by redirecting Remote Desktop Client.

This runs on IIS.

When installing some software which requires a newer version of .NET Framework, often one of more of these functions can "break"...because sometimes the .NET Framework will affect each site within IIS and flip it to the newer version. So after installing any software which requires a newer version of .NET Framework other than the 1.1 that comes built into SBS, I have to go in and double check each sites properties within IIS manager (MMC)...looking at the .ASP tab of each...and if I see 2.0 or 3.0 or 3.5...I have to revert it back to 1.1, and restart IIS.