What's new

Windows is slow to gain internet connectivity after flashing Merlin on Asus RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gil80

Regular Contributor
Steps I took prior to flashing Merlin FW:
  1. Made sure I'm on the latest official Asus firmware
  2. Reboot router
  3. Flashed MerlinWRT for the AX88U
  4. Reboot router
  5. Factory reset
  6. Manually set the router (did not use saved config file from previous official firmware)
After each PC reboot, the LAN icon on the taskbar is displaying No Internet. I cannot browse or ping sites.
It takes about 4 minutes for Windows to gain connectivity.

Tested with my wireless clients, i.e., rebooting my laptop, no such issues. I get instant connectivity and I can browse as soon as I log in.
My Windows IPv4 settings are set to obtain automatically.

Please tell me what is the extra information I need to provide to troubleshoot this.

Is your PC up to date? Does it have the latest drivers? What version of RMerlin firmware do you have installed?

What is your Windows version (specifically)?

Is there anything between the router and the PC?

What antivirus do you have installed? Is that fully updated?

Have you tried a new Ethernet cable?

Is your PC up to date? Does it have the latest drivers? What version of RMerlin firmware do you have installed?

What is your Windows version (specifically)?

Is there anything between the router and the PC?

What antivirus do you have installed? Is that fully updated?

Have you tried a new Ethernet cable?
Merlin: 384.19_0
PC is up to date with drivers and everything.

OS Build 19041.572

PC is connected directly to the router. Never had issues. Unlikely the cable because this has started right after I updated to MerlinWRT.

I use ESET NOD32 version 13.2.18.0 updated 3 hours ago.

Check your DNS configuration.

You can also try resetting your PC's networking stack. From an elevated command prompt:

Code:
netsh int ip reset

You can also try resetting your PC's networking stack. From an elevated command prompt:

Code:
netsh int ip reset
My DNS configuration is set to local DNS (Running Unbound recursive DNS on a local server wired to the router). However, this issue is before I connected the server and before I set my router to use this DNS.
Even if I use 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1 or set to Auto, I get this problem.

As other devices are okay your first action should be to investigate your PC.

As per Merlin's advice , clear the network stack. Or using the on board tools , Windows > Settings> Connections > Reset Network.

Code:
netsh int ip reset

Code:
C:\Windows\system32>netsh int ip reset
Resetting Compartment Forwarding, OK!
Resetting Compartment, OK!
Resetting Control Protocol, OK!
Resetting Echo Sequence Request, OK!
Resetting Global, OK!
Resetting Interface, OK!
Resetting Anycast Address, OK!
Resetting Multicast Address, OK!
Resetting Unicast Address, OK!
Resetting Neighbor, OK!
Resetting Path, OK!
Resetting Potential, OK!
Resetting Prefix Policy, OK!
Resetting Proxy Neighbor, OK!
Resetting Route, OK!
Resetting Site Prefix, OK!
Resetting Subinterface, OK!
Resetting Wakeup Pattern, OK!
Resetting Resolve Neighbor, OK!
Resetting , OK!
Resetting , OK!
Resetting , OK!
Resetting , OK!
Resetting , failed.
Access is denied.
Resetting , OK!
Resetting , OK!
Resetting , OK!
Resetting , OK!
Resetting , OK!
Resetting , OK!
Resetting , OK!
Restart the computer to complete this action.

After a reboot, the results are the same. Takes about 3~4 minutes to get internet working on my PC.

Just to test, can you plug your computer directly to your modem? (you might have to unplug the power to the modem for 5 mins to release the MAC address registered with ISP). Just a thought to try.

Does the following command on your PC quickly return a response?

Code:
nslookup dns.msftncsi.com

Does the following command on your PC quickly return a response?

Code:
nslookup dns.msftncsi.com
very very quickly! it was a split second.

Code:
PS C:\Users\Gil> nslookup dns.msftncsi.com
Server:  raspberrypi
Address:  192.168.1.2

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    dns.msftncsi.com
Address:  131.107.255.255

very very quickly! it was a split second.

Code:
PS C:\Users\Gil> nslookup dns.msftncsi.com
Server:  raspberrypi
Address:  192.168.1.2

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    dns.msftncsi.com
Address:  131.107.255.255

I see you're not using the router as your primary DNS. Try setting your router as your DNS server on that PC then reboot, just to see if it makes any difference. If it does, check your rpi configuration. Internet connectivity by Windows is checked through DNS queries.

I see you're not using the router as your primary DNS. Try setting your router as your DNS server on that PC then reboot, just to see if it makes any difference. If it does, check your rpi configuration. Internet connectivity by Windows is checked through DNS queries.

My quote from Tuesday:
My DNS configuration is set to local DNS (Running Unbound recursive DNS on a local server wired to the router). However, this issue is before I connected the server and before I set my router to use this DNS.
Even if I use 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1 or set to Auto, I get this problem.

So if the router is using CloudFlare or my ISP DNS, the problem persists, which tells me it's not the RPi with Unbound+Pihole.

i have a different theory on this. It may be outlandish but is there a chance this is because of spanning tree? in my mind what is hapenning, maybe the PC has VLANs or some type of virtual switch running on it, and the router is receiving a BPDU and not allowing the port to turn fowarding.

or

do you have any other networking devices in the topology? is it possible that the DHCP request is looping around the network and not getting to the router because a port on a switch views it as too much traffic within a specified period of time (DOS settings)?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!