What's new

Windows / MS Device Connecting to WiFi - Needs Authentication Redirect From Time To Time

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bloomwow

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,

First time poster. Been running Merlin on my Asus router. Very satisfied and basically no issue for the past year, and if any it won't need that much of digging in.

I'm a Verizon Fios user and I used to connect my Asus router to the Fios modem which is connected straight to the internet. That created a double NAT issue for my Asus router. I very recently discovered that when trying to set up DDNS. I have since corrected that.

However, I have also discovered that:

- Both of my Windows devices that connect to WiFi wirelessly would automatically disconnect themselves every day or two. Next to the AP entries would say "need action" on the list of avail. hotspots. If I manually connect to any of them, there would be an authentication redirect popup just like those public WiFi hotspots. However Diversion is blocking the MS auth domain...so I have to shut down Diversion to complete the authentication process. Notice that if I leave the auth page alone I can still access the internet without any issues, but Windows will keep telling me the WiFi has "no Internet". I still have to repeat the auth process regardless of passing the auth or not every day or two. I have never run into anything similar before the change. What could be the cause of it? Is there a config entry that I can toggle on Merlin?

- With the Fios modem I kept a fixed IP address for the past year or so, but after Asus ruter takes over I am assigned a different IP address every two days ish. Does DDNS have to do with that? Or does it have to do with the above symptoms my Windows devices are having? Any ways for my Asus router to be less aggressively requesting for a different IP? Will cloning the MAC address of the Fios modem help?

FYI I'm running the latest version of Merlin.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If I manually connect to any of them, there would be an authentication redirect popup just like those public WiFi hotspots. However Diversion is blocking the MS auth domain...so I have to shut down Diversion to complete the authentication process.

Is this Windows 10? Did you setup Windows to log into a Microsoft account (e.g. xxxx@microsoft.com) rather than a local user account?

If the the answer to both of those questions is Yes then my guess is that by deliberately blocking access to Microsoft's sites Windows cannot periodically re-authenticate the connection to your Windows account.

Is this Windows 10? Did you setup Windows to log into a Microsoft account (e.g. xxxx@microsoft.com) rather than a local user account?

If the the answer to both of those questions is Yes then my guess is that by deliberately blocking access to Microsoft's sites Windows cannot periodically re-authenticate the connection to your Windows account.

Hi, yes it's Windows 10 and yes I do have a MS acct.

But I'm pretty sure the auth page is specific to WiFi connection. Here's the current flow:

Days without using laptop -> Laptop loses connection to WiFi hotspot, says "action needed", no Internet atm -> Manually reconnect -> Pops up WiFi auth redirect page which got blocked by adblocker (Diversion)'s host -> Network Manager now says "connected to WiFi hotspot, no internet", taskbar still shows no internet icon. but I now have Internet access.

I can turn off adblocking and try again, the auth redirect will successfully bounce to the landing page and the WiFi icon will show up normally on the task bar. Just the cosmetic change.

The auth page is what you will see when connecting your Windows laptop to any other public WiFi hotspot that needs authentication. The domain looks like msftconnect......Edit: http://www.msftconnecttest.com/redirect

And I have to add I also got an XBox at home. For the past year it has had Internet without any disconnects. Now it's also showing "need authentication" and, different from the Windows laptop, if it can't go through the auth redirect it wouldn't have Internet access at all.

So no, I don't think it's to do with "re-authenticate the connection to your Windows account". Thank you for your input!