What's new

windows won't allow moving a file because it thinks there is not enough space in the destination NAS but there is...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

toma

New Around Here
I have a QNAP NAS that I'm trying to store files on, but if I try to drag and drop the few hundred MB file (There is 12TB free space in my NAS) windows 10pro refuses and says there is not enough space. the network location I have in file explorer says 243GB total size and 124GB free space, which would not be enough space, but the numbers are wrong. what do I do? it looks like file explorer has just used some default value of 243GB total size and 124GB free space for EVERY network location I have. feels like a windows rather than qnap problem that I've never run into and don't know how to fix. Whats up with that and how do I fix it?

Although it comes through as a free space issue, I've seen it caused by other factors in the past. It could be a file name, a single large file, permissions, etc. Try a smaller set of files or go file by file as a test to see if you can isolate it. Also, it could depend on how you've mapped the drive in windows. Try mapping it to a drive letter and try copy/pasted instead of drag and drop. Can you copy *any* files? If not, it is a permission issue that often manifests as a space issue.

QNAP NAS model and firmware version wouldn't hurt to know, but probably not really important as it is more likely a permission or file system issue.

its an hs453dx on latest firmware I can "right click drag copy here" files sized less than the reported free space, this does not reduce the free space available reported. Changed over to mapping by drive letter and all is well now
thanks

I've seen it caused by other factors in the past. It could be a file name, a single large file, permissions, etc.

I've seen it as well - even from Windows client to a Windows server...

Sometimes a reboot fixes things - I've always considered this more of a Windows issue than a Samba concern.