What's new

Wired AP to add to existing AiMesh network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thw0rted

Regular Contributor
I got a 2-pack of RT-AX92U a month or so ago, and used it to set up a wireless-backhaul mesh that covers about 2/3 of my house. (Wires are not an option for the bedroom where we most needed extra coverage.) It's been performing very well and I don't have any complaints.

I'd like to add a node to cover the far side of the house as well, so I moved the pair I have around to see if I could create a stable wireless connection from one of the existing positions to the room where I needed extra coverage. In this configuration, the backhaul band only showed one "bar" of reception in the web control panel, and iperf3 only managed about 20-30Mbps with a lot of variability. I tried repositioning the nodes to improve performance but it just wasn't happening. The house was built in the 1800s and the walls do terrible things to wireless signals.

Anyway, the end of the house in question has an existing wired connection that runs straight to the ISP modem, but it was installed in the 90s during renovations and can't manage more than 100Mbps -- that's why I had hoped to replace the wire run with a solid dedicated wireless backhaul. Since that isn't going to work, and I'm stuck with a slow wired backhaul, I don't need to buy a relatively expensive tri-band node, but I would like it to support AiMesh for improved client handoff when we move from room to room.

TL;DR: I need an AiMesh node that will work well when connected to an RT-AX92U over wired backhaul. I'm looking at Asus's dual-band lineup and I found a pretty good deal on the RT-AX56U, with the RT-AX55 for almost the same price but only half the RAM; both claim to support AiMesh. My question is, is there anything else I should look for when considering what to buy? Are there known issues with any routers that claim to support AiMesh, mixing old/new models, etc? I couldn't find any threads with problems specific to the AX56U, for example.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!