What's new

wired backhaul mesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

homeofwind

Regular Contributor
Hi everyone, Just like to confirm if the wired mesh can pick up devices that are close to the node with stronger signal? When taking a phone to the 2nd floor where the wired node is, I did not see it was connected to the node automatically. Where I do see wireless mesh picks up those devices. Can someone educate me a bit on how the wired mesh works? Thanks.

The advantage of Ethernet or wired mesh backhaul is the router and nodes do not have to share WiFi bandwidth. Wired or wireless the system pretty much works the same. As for the WiFi device the client connects to, well, that can be chancy at times. Would seem it would connect to the closest WiFi router or mesh node but it does not always happen that way. Lots of reasons why or why not.
If your mesh system is working well for you do not worry about details. As for seeing where the client is connected use the phone app ot look in the AiMesh area of the router GUI.

The advantage of Ethernet or wired mesh backhaul is the router and nodes do not have to share WiFi bandwidth. Wired or wireless the system pretty much works the same. As for the WiFi device the client connects to, well, that can be chancy at times. Would seem it would connect to the closest WiFi router or mesh node but it does not always happen that way. Lots of reasons why or why not.
If your mesh system is working well for you do not worry about details. As for seeing where the client is connected use the phone app ot look in the AiMesh area of the router GUI.
Thanks for the quick reply. I am just cuirous to see there is none device connected under wired mesh node while multiple devices are nearby.

No, the devices pick the AP in both wired and wireless "mesh".

You perhaps don't need that extra node. Your devices see the main router as good enough.
Thanks. When you say AP, shall I set the node as AP mode? Right now, I set it as Airmesh node. For the wireless mesh, some devices do connect to the node.

AP is Access Point. Your All-In-One "routers" and "nodes" have one built in*. Again, the devices decide where to connect. Your AiMesh doesn't pick up any devices. The tools encouraging devices to switch are Roaming Assistant and 802.11k/v support. Wired or wireless backhaul - doesn't matter. If none of your devices want to connect to this node and stay connected to the main router with good signal level - you don't need this node**.

* - All-In-One home "routers" consist of Router, Switch and Access Point in one device.
** - Asus AiMesh works best wired and with identical routers. It's not the best "mesh" around for roaming.

Last edited:
AP is Access Point. Your All-In-One "routers" and "nodes" have one built in*. Again, the devices decide where to connect. Your AiMesh doesn't pick up any devices. The tools encouraging devices to switch are Roaming Assistant and 802.11k/v support. Wired or wireless backhaul - doesn't matter. If none of your devices want to connect to this node and stay connected to the main router with good signal level - you don't need this node**.

* - All-In-One home "routers" consist of Router, Switch and Access Point in one device.
** - Asus AiMesh works best wired and with identical routers. It's not the best "mesh" around for roaming.
Thanks! It seems the wired mesh now works fine and devices begin to connect with it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!