What's new

Wired backhaul Wi-Fi 6 mesh system suggestions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oshogg

New Around Here
I have 500Mbps internet and plan to upgrade to 1Gbps soon. All my wireless clients don't see speeds larger than 150Mbps typically with current Netgear Nighthawk single router. So, I am looking for recommendations for Wired backhaul Wi-Fi 6 mesh system with a router and 2 extenders. I see systems such as Asus ET8/XT8, Netgear RBK852 etc. I bought Netgear RBK852 and tried it with wireless backhaul but it didn't improve the speeds much at all. So, I am not looking for systems that will use wireless backhauls.

Are mesh systems such as Netgear RBK852 or Asus ET8/XT8 still the best to use with wired backhauls? Or, are there better (or equivalent but cheaper) systems available?

Thanks,
Osho

Wired router + enough wired (POE likely) APs on 5GHz bands at lower power to cover the the rooms would be the high throughput solution instead of mesh. 2.4 GHz if some devices require it.

the individual client devices may be the real limitation on bandwidth.

Wired router + enough wired (POE likely) APs

Yes, but pricey and needs networking skills. I believe @oshogg is looking for easier and cheaper solution.

Are mesh systems such as Netgear RBK852 or Asus ET8/XT8 still the best to use with wired backhauls?

Most folks on this forum will recommend you 2x AX86U routers or 2x AX68U as cheaper option. Both with Asuswrt-Merlin support. Use the minimum required to cover your place, don't plan 3x. If your older single Netgear router was just enough, a newer gen single router may be all you need.

Last edited:
All my wireless clients don't see speeds larger than 150Mbps typically with current Netgear Nighthawk single router. So, I am looking for recommendations for Wired backhaul Wi-Fi 6 mesh system with a router and 2 extenders. I see systems such as Asus ET8/XT8, Netgear RBK852 etc. I bought Netgear RBK852 and tried it with wireless backhaul but it didn't improve the speeds much at all. So, I am not looking for systems that will use wireless backhauls.

Client performance is generally limited by the client, not the router/AP when dealing with WiFi

The Orbi RBK852 - the Wireless Backhaul link is pretty fast, but it still has to obey the laws of physics - poorly placed satellites relative to the base unit will have issues with performance.

Properly set up, the Orbi's do quite well - I'm not a big fan of Netgear's SW, but they do have a good rep here on the forums...

Thank you all for the suggestions. I am definitely looking for something off the shelf and rock solid. Not necessarily cheap - I can spend more if it is justified. But, I don't want to deal with installing non-manufacturer firmwares etc.

Regards,
Osho

Check out the NWA210AX as an AP and you can run it back tot he existing router over Ethernet. I'm using 1 of them in 1300 sq ft and can easily hit 500mbps from any location. When moving data internally I can hit 1.5gbps. The key is they have a 2.5GE port on them for better throughput instead of some saying they can hit 6gbps with a 1gbps physical port on them. Of course if you want to take advantage of the full potential you would need a 2.5 port on the router as well otherwise you'll get capped w/ overhead @ ~960mbps.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!