1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Wired device appears as wireless (AC-RT68R)

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by swbrains, Aug 22, 2019.

1. swbrains

swbrains New Around Here

Hi,

I have an Asus AC-RT68R running Merlin FW 384.13 and I noticed a strange issue with a wired security camera I just installed. It is showing up in the router as a wireless 2.4GHz connection . I have another of the same camera that shows up as wired as it should. I can't find any other IP addressese in the network device listing that are not accounted for. To ensure that it's not passing data over wifi, I pulled the ethernet cable from the camera while powering it separately using its 12V adapter and it stops transmitting video, so I know the data communication path for the camera is indeed wired.

I contacted the manufacturer who assures me the camera does not have a wireless interface. It also has no visible antenna like their wireless model. Yet it shows as a wireless device for the IP it is using in the router.

Has anyone see this issue before or have any ideas what might be causing it?