What's new

wired POE router with 3G/4G WAN connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lifespeed

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I have a need for a Power Over Ethernet router to support a portable computer network consisting of 13 laptops. So far I have been using a wired switch without an internet connection, but stringing all the ethernet cables is a hassle. I would like to upgrade to two MIMO wireless access points (6 laptops per AP connecting to the wired networked server) using a POE router providing internet access via cellular.

What are the best choices for such a router? I need a minimum of 4 ports.

i would suggest getting a POE switch, go for a semi managed POE switch than you can have your routers and APs powered by the switch if they are compatible and arent consumer ones. Consumer line doesnt release networking gear with POE in/out.

Selecting the switch, make sure to add up the energy requirements based on switch PSU. Take router wattage + AP wattage and add them up, make sure to leave some leeway as longer cables require more power and the switch itself needs power too. Usually they list the specs for POE wattage on switch specs. So choose a switch that has enough wattage, supports the features you want to use or will want to use and make sure it supports the right voltage and format.

You still havent mentioned what your requirements are so we cant recommend any router/AP/switch for you. For example what is your WAN speed(s) (for wired), what features do you need from a router and whats your available skill level (whether you yourself do it or if you have some techie or tech department or hired help).

I know the edgerouter POE might do it but i dont know the POE specs for it like the wattage and such and it will support a total of 1.3Gb/s of NAT throughput with no other configs (basically no different from a consumer router with hardware NAT), but the QoS and firewall throughput would be around 200Mb/s or lower. However it may not support mobile connections.

I know mikrotik does support mobile internet but only with a limited number of modems so not much luck there unless you use a modem that is known to work.

So it may be better to just get a good router and have the switch handle POE instead.

I've been looking at the Cradlepoint COR IBR650LPE-VZ 4G router, the ethernet-only model. It looks like a capable small business router including an internal 4G modem sporting dual external antennae for use with Verizon. My plan is to connect a wireless network of 12 computers, 1 server (wired) and 4 WLAN credit card readers using two wireless access points and a switch. Internet bandwidth use is pretty minimal, mostly just credit card transactions. I'll be sure to tell Windows 10 it is a metered connection, which hopefully will reduce most of the spurious bandwidth consumption. And shut off Cortana ;)

WLAN bandwidth used isn't that much either, mostly just checks of merchandise sold against the list on the server. Lots of small accesses. Hopefully without significant delays to the clients inside the WLAN.

Does anybody have any experience with this unit? Features that are appealing are VPN, VLAN, QoS and dyndns support. Basically a full-blown small business router that won't surprise me with missing features.

I have heard good things about the 4G radio.