What's new

wired router, build or buy? and what do I miss out on?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

db9

Occasional Visitor
As I mess around configuring my home network I am also thinking of future proofing as well. With this in mind I am thinking that a 'newer' router may be needed as ISP speeds go up (currently I'm on 100/10, but 250 & 1G is available) my Asus 16 is I believe only capable to 100 (I think) Since I don't use it for WiFi I had thought of purchasing a newer router or building something (partly to learn and have more ultimate control with firmware updates instead of waiting for patches from the manufacture or obsolescence. I will note that this is not the case of Merlin builds as it is well maintained). In this regard my Asus is using a Merlin fork currently and in the past I have used Tomato for a number of years on various pieces of hardware.

I have seen forum posts about pfSense (or some other open source build) using a homebrew or Qotom hardware, I also read about the hEX box from Mikrotik and RouterOS.
The cost of a MikroTik is sure appealing (however in Canada the $$ is still getting towards the $100 mark)

The basic question is what do I gain or give up by going with Qotom build (and varous open source builds) or the hEX unit and RouterOS? or in the end its all the same just a different package?

My requirements are not particularly demanding so I will not be using 'all' the available features - OpenVPN( maybe at some point), VLAN, 1G ports - I have a number of items on the LAN including streaming devices, QNAP server, WiFi clients (laptops), PC workstation, smart phones and game consoles.

Thanks for reading

Budget and admin effort are the biggest differences. You determine those, then look at performance requirements that fit in the budget and go from there.

If you are cringing on a $100 router budget...your options will be limited when you start talking about devices that can handle 1G Internet. I am running a $50 desktop with a $25 Gig card in it using pfSense. It does my FW, OpenVPN, proxy filters, and routes at 900+ Mbps just fine. It would be even faster and more power efficient if I purchased a newer system...but that takes time and money which I don't currently have spare of either.

Time I have (somewhat), money is spent wisely :)
I'm not cringing at the $100 amount as much as wondering at that price level with the hEX what am I losing. What specifications would I need to compare to make an educated perchase?