What's new

Wired Router Recommendation For Symmetrical Gigabit WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I’m on 2.5.0 while not officially released it’s pretty stable, unless it’s office/business use I’d say one could could go ahead and use it.

Can one use an older PC with the same number of network ports as an emergency backup pfSense router? Or does backup/restore assume identical hardware?

Thanks

I don't see why this is necessary. I am running pfsense on 2 identical SSD's in a ZFS mirror, something you can configure on install. I am monitoring the SMART status in pfsense and if one starts to act up, i will just replace it and perform a remirror.

1606856709348.png

Last edited:
Yeah ZFS mirror is the way to go if really worried about drive failure/corruption but I’m guessing he means switching to a different unit that he may have lying around if it’s like a motherboard or something going out rather than an easily swappable drive.

@avtella

You are right about the failure model. Not only does my current pfSense box support only one SSD, I was able to get an inexpensive HP T730 and add an Intel NIC to use as a full backup/replacement. And fewer complaints from the family about an Internet outage :)

And will wait on 2.5.0

@avtella
And fewer complaints from the family about an Internet outage :)

And will wait on 2.5.0
i was suffering from all kinds of issues with the home network in the past, lag, disconnections, router freezes, wifi printers not connecting... you name it. Since i moved to pfsense and a decent switch, there is none of that anymore. Things 'just work'.

All NICs are supported so I will give this a try.

Also, though somewhat off-topic, is v2.4.5 to v2.5.0 a smooth upgrade?

Thanks.
I wanted to report that I finally did "clone" the config to another machine it worked!

Thanks for the encouragement to do it.