What's new

wired vs wireless VPN speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
I use a roku ultra device and stream via VPN through my rt ac 88 u. I have the Roku wired with cat7 cable and thought I would do a speed test using the Roku device itself to do the tests.I was very surprised to find that the wireless connection streamed at twice the speed as the wired connection.The router and the Roku are only about 12 to 18 inches away from each other.Is this normal ? I just always assumed that the wired connection would be faster,maybe wrongly

According to the Roku spec page they only use "fast" (10/100 Mbps) Ethernet (and not Gigabit). Wireless AC about 500 Mbps; > "fast" Ethernet, < Gigabit.

That said, if you live in a crazy house like me, your Ethernet connection should gave a steadier experience (and should be plenty fast enough for 4K TV ... which needs about 25 Mbps).

What were your benches showing?

Last edited:
According to the Roku spec page they only use "fast" (10/100 Mbps) Ethernet (and not Gigabit).

That said, if you live in a crazy house like me, your Ethernet connection should gave a steadier experience (and should be plenty fast enough for 4K TV ... which needs about 25 Mbps).

What werem your benches showing?
my tests read 5 mbs for wired and 10 for wireless but that can't be right because I don't have any trouble streaming 4k so it's just confusing

my tests read 5 mbs for wired and 10 for wireless but that can't be right because I don't have any trouble streaming 4k so it's just confusing
But I don't really understand the difference between mbs and gigabit .Well I do sort of I think that one gig is one thousand mbs? So maybe it means 5 and 10 gigs respectively?

Last edited:
But I don't really understand the difference between mbs and gigabit .Well I do sort of I think that one gig is one thousand mbs? So maybe it means 5 and 10 gigs respectively?
But that doesn't make any sense at all so I am back to confused Ps actually I don't have a 4k tv I meant HD so perhaps the speeds are correct.If I use smart dns proxy to stream I get about 45 mbs.Bearing in mind that I am on a mbs 50 plan so 45 mbs out of 50 is perceived as very good in Australia

Last edited:
Ouch, math before breakfast. A gigabit is 1,000 megabits so about 10x faster than "fast" Ethernet at 100 Mbps.

Not sure what kind of "speed test" you were running (or what they were reporting)? Maybe they were reporting MegaBytes (MBs)? 5 MBs would be about 50 Mbps and 10 MB about 100 Mbps.

Ouch, math before breakfast. A gigabit is 1,000 megabits so about 10x faster than "fast" Ethernet at 100 Mbps.

Not sure what kind of "speed test" you were running (or what they were reporting)? Maybe they were reporting MegaBytes (MBs)? 5 MBs would be about 50 Mbps and 10 MB about 100 Mbps.
No my plan is a mbs 50 fifty being the fastest I could ever expect.Internet speed is a joke in Australia they just implemented a national broadband network called the nbn ( no imagination for name there) which entailed laying fibre optic cable down which sounds great only problem is that they only lay the cable connecting to the old coper cable so it really can't live up to the full potential of fibre optic cabling

If I use smart dns proxy to stream I get about 45 mbs.Bearing in mind that I am on a mbs 50 plan so 45 mbs out of 50 is perceived as very good in Australia
New news adding confusion to me. If you're testing through the Internet your speeds will be capped by the Internet service (about 45 to 50 Mbps as per you).

HD streaming consumes about 7 Mbps. If your "test" is simply measuring what HD streaming is consuming 5 & 10 might make sense (in that Ethernet has less overhead it consumes slightly less to deliver the same picture)? I'm definitely just making guesses now.

New news adding confusion to me. If you're testing through the Internet your speeds will be capped by the Internet service (about 45 to 50 Mbps as per you).

HD streaming consumes about 7 Mbps. If your "test" is simply measuring what HD streaming is consuming 5 & 10 might make sense (in that Ethernet has less overhead it consumes slightly less to deliver the same picture)? I'm definitely just making guesses now.
It sounds good to me

No my plan is a mbs 50 fifty being the fastest I could ever expect.Internet speed is a joke in Australia they just implemented a national broadband network called the nbn ( no imagination for name there) which entailed laying fibre optic cable down which sounds great only problem is that they only lay the cable connecting to the old coper cable so it really can't live up to the full potential of fibre optic cabling
I've seen that before, it's a heroic effort towards making an antiquated copper architecture last a little longer. Where I live the phone company is all copper. If you live close enough to the "POP" (point of presence) you can get Internet speeds of up to about 7 Mbps. If you run fiber to the neighborhood you've essentially moved the "POP" next door and now you can get about 50-ish over the old copper that runs to your house.

If you've been running at 5 then 50 will look good ("been down so long it looks like up to me" : -) but in the grand scheme of things 50 ain't so great. I'm guessing that, overtime, there's a chance they'll start replacing the copper to the house as demand/money dictates?

I've seen that before, it's a heroic effort towards making an antiquated copper architecture last a little longer. Where I live the phone company is all copper. If you live close enough to the "POP" (point of presence) you can get Internet speeds of up to about 7 Mbps. If you run fiber to the neighborhood you've essentially moved the "POP" next door and now you can get about 50-ish over the old copper that runs to your house.

If you've been running at 5 then 50 will look good ("been down so long it looks like up to me" : -) but in the grand scheme of things 50 ain't so great. I'm guessing that, overtime, there's a chance they'll start replacing the copper to the house as per demand/money dictates?
I'm not holding my breath Australia is such a big country when it comes to cabling.To replace the coper cable for fibre optic cable would have to be a multi billion dollar prospect that even Telstra (out biggest IP and owners of the cable) aren't going to rush to the task.The US on the other hand has a much larger population that it is just good business to have decent cable.You guys have so many more carriers vying for your dollars

I'm not holding my breath Australia is such a big country when it comes to cabling.To replace the coper cable for fibre optic cable would have to be a multi billion dollar prospect that even Telstra (out biggest IP and owners of the cable) aren't going to rush to the task.The US on the other hand has a much larger population that it is just good business to have decent cable.You guys have so many more carriers vying for your dollars
But yes 50 mbs is great compared to what we used to have

Yeah but you had good beer long before the States did!

Yes, dense population does offer economies of scale. We also have rural rural areas where houses are a mile and better apart and where decent Internet access is still a dream.

Yeah but you had good beer long before the States did!

Yes, dense population does offer economies of scale. We also have rural rural areas where houses a mile and better apart and where decent Internet access is still a dream.
Yes when you are right you are right and a good beer will go a longer way than faster internet any day of the week cheers I think I feel one coming on right now

I
I'll have to remember that,we are combining our wedding anniversary 3/7/with the 4th of July celebration as an excuse to get tanked on American beer this week
Think of Genesee beer as a hard reset for your digestive system. Only if absolutely necessary. :p