What's new

Wireguard NordVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sephiclo

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys, so I'm very much enjoying my OpenVPN setup with NordVPN and VPNMonR2. I have 3 Servers setup on low ping for all devices, and 1 separate one just for consoles using NordVPN double vpn option which is not on the VPNMON rotation, and getting booted offline is a thing of the past. Emails from my torrent usage also gone. FlexQOS as icing on the cake. But of course I'm wondering if there's room for improvement.

I have a 300 Mb/s line, and most of the time I'm only getting 190-200 Mb/s behind my VPN. I tried searching a bit for wireguard on Merlin and it seems complicated. My question, would you say it's worth getting into, since I have everything working perfectly now. Or just wait for the config files (if ever released) from NordVPN?

Thank you.

Hi guys, so I'm very much enjoying my OpenVPN setup with NordVPN and VPNMonR2. I have 3 Servers setup on low ping for all devices, and 1 separate one just for consoles using NordVPN double vpn option which is not on the VPNMON rotation, and getting booted offline is a thing of the past. Emails from my torrent usage also gone. FlexQOS as icing on the cake. But of course I'm wondering if there's room for improvement.

I have a 300 Mb/s line, and most of the time I'm only getting 190-200 Mb/s behind my VPN. I tried searching a bit for wireguard on Merlin and it seems complicated. My question, would you say it's worth getting into, since I have everything working perfectly now. Or just wait for the config files (if ever released) from NordVPN?

Thank you.
Why break it when you have a good thing going, right? ;) As far as speeds go, you'd most likely be getting around the same. Here was some other advice to just stick with OpenVPN for now:

Post in thread 'Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models' https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...all-supported-wifi-6-models.82084/post-805461

Or just wait for the config files (if ever released) from NordVPN?
That's not going to happen as they want you to use the app. The app allows you to dynamically change servers upon connecting as each server uses a different key. It's not hard to get the keys to setup a manual profile though. Finding the best server for speed though takes a couple of tries but, you could unlock that extra speed ovpn doesn't have. The other part of the issue is using a router to handle things sometimes doesn't work. On my diy setup though I get line speed over a gig.

That's not going to happen as they want you to use the app. The app allows you to dynamically change servers upon connecting as each server uses a different key. It's not hard to get the keys to setup a manual profile though. Finding the best server for speed though takes a couple of tries but, you could unlock that extra speed ovpn doesn't have. The other part of the issue is using a router to handle things sometimes doesn't work. On my diy setup though I get line speed over a gig.
Any chance you have a GitHub or explanation of your setup? I’m looking for a way to dynamically change NordVPN IP every X minutes

dynamically change NordVPN IP every X minutes
For this I have a cron setup to cycle it.

My setup is a combo of different approaches since I combined several devices into a single box so, no. But if you Google homebrew router you'll find the foundation of the router side. From there just install Nord and change the settings to Nordlynx and run it from cli.