1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Wireless and powerline adapters?

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Chris313AllNight, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Chris313AllNight

Chris313AllNight Regular Contributor

I have a 68U at a friend's house and the wireless is weak, so I'm planning to use powerline adapters seen here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTNKNPZ/?tag=snbforums-20

While I'm sure the powerline adapters will work fine, I'm looking to extend wireless signal. I have an N66U I'm planning to use a switch and for the wireless. Do I set it as AP to work like I want it? (I've never done this before.) And can I just plug it into the switch I have at my home to reconfigure (the address for both the N66 and the 68U are the standard 1.1 and will conflict, is that right? And will the N66U auto reconfigure the access address to avoid the conflict?)

2. Swistheater

Swistheater Very Senior Member

3. Chris313AllNight

Chris313AllNight Regular Contributor

Yes, thanks for that, but I've already looked into it and Moca adapters aren't usable here. Powerline or bust. Otherwise, I'd have done exactly that. Those Moca Adapters were actually my first choice.

4. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Very Senior Member

For that money, the OP could install an 86U/68U AiMesh with wireless backhaul and extended AC WiFi and skip the powerline or moca.

OE

Swistheater likes this.
  5. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Very Senior Member

Maybe this will help: https://www.asus.com/US/support/FAQ/1015009

OE

Swistheater likes this.