What's new

Wireless backhaul/mesh systems recommendation for friend so I don't have to be tech support in the future

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tomgru

Occasional Visitor
Hey all. Helping friend out in a new house... want something reliable that he won't need my support on after we set it up :) (I use unifi, so that's out - LOL)

Details:
5000 sqft house - 2 stories
2 adults... occasional children
use - web surf, streaming, work from home
MUST play nice with Sonos
Comcast - 500Mbps service (I think)
NO WAY to wire backhaul
$$ not really an object

The Asus XT8 looked great, with two nodes... until i read all the concerns about internet dropping.

the smallnetbuilder system ranker has the Netgear orbi as #1... but that entire list seems very outdated.

Figuring 2-3 router points to get coverage. Would love your thoughts on ease/throughput/reliability.

Also needs to be something he can purchase in next couple of days (e.g. like Amazon).

Thanks for input!

Last edited:
if money is not an issue, just hire local installer shop that deals with wireless lans all the time.
You can help select the company ;-)

I have installed 2x Deco systems for friends with no networking knowledge whatsoever and they are happy with the phone app control. I'm sure they have never used it after installation. One was Deco M4 2-pack (AC1200 class, 100Mbps ISP, $100) and the other Deco X50 2-pack (AX3000 class, Gigabit ISP, $150). M4 is wireless, X50 is wired. Both systems work with no issues. Tri-band systems with dedicated backhaul are available as well as 3-pack sets. The price is okay, the control is super simple, the "mesh" works well with better roaming than AiMesh. Single SSID, Smart Connect.

I have installed 2x Deco systems for friends with no networking knowledge whatsoever and they are happy with the phone app control. I'm sure they have never used it after installation. One was Deco M4 2-pack (AC1200 class, 100Mbps ISP, $100) and the other Deco X50 2-pack (AX3000 class, Gigabit ISP, $150). M4 is wireless, X50 is wired. Both systems work with no issues. Tri-band systems with dedicated backhaul are available as well as 3-pack sets. The price is okay, the control is super simple, the "mesh" works well with better roaming than AiMesh. Single SSID, Smart Connect.
awesome... thanks. Turns out they do have 1200Mbps down, so I'd like to at least set them up with something that might use that, even though they probably don't need it.

Is there a tri-band system you'd lean towards?

MUCH appreciated!

How can '$$ not really an object', and yet still be 'NO WAY to wire backhaul'?

I would be buying 2x GT-AX6000s, open one and situate it as close to the center of the coverage areas as possible. Only open the second one if needed.

How to Connect an AiMesh Node

AiMesh Ideal Placement

Turns out they do have 1200Mbps down

They don't have 1200Mbps down. They pay for 1200Mbps down and don't use it. This is not needed for 2 people and and will increase the equipment cost significantly for no reason. Common AC 2-stream client can reach about 550Mbps throughput, AX 2-stream about 800Mbps in close to ideal conditions and close to the router/access point. If you want to chase Gigabit over Wi-Fi you need not only new wired access points, but all new clients as well. Sound like you also have no good idea what is needed. Get ready for a lot of trial and error experiments with home "mesh" systems. You'll probably start with 2x Asus routers and AiMesh because this is what people on this forum will recommend you first. Good luck.

AX2XX/4XX intel clients can definitely hit over a 1.2+gbps close range (highest I've seen someone pull was 1.4gbps), but it requires functioning 160mhz on both client/router side. It really depends on country WIFI limitations at that point... Also would need to keep the channel locked into a manual setting that does 160mhz, otherwise it will hop to a smaller 80mhz block if SNR is better (or DFS limits being hit).

There is a 3db SNR deficit from running 160mhz, but it's a trade off in a sense that 80mhz "only" clients will end up performing worse.

160mhz or 80+80 capable clients benefit from the larger blocks regardless of running at a worse SNR, at least this is my experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all. Helping friend out in a new house... want something reliable that he won't need my support on after we set it up :) (I use unifi, so that's out - LOL)

Details:
NO WAY to wire backhaul
$$ not really an object

The Asus XT8 looked great, with two nodes... until i read all the concerns about internet dropping.

the smallnetbuilder system ranker has the Netgear orbi as #1... but that entire list seems very outdated.

Figuring 2-3 router points to get coverage. Would love your thoughts on ease/throughput/reliability.

Also needs to be something he can purchase in next couple of days (e.g. like Amazon).

Thanks for input!
So I have the XD6 (WiFi 6, 2 radios, Ethernet backhaul) and since I just have them in AP mode with mesh and have a separate firewall, they’ve been rock solid. When I had them doing firewall duty as well, they did crash occasionally so I know all about that. I personally think they were just trying to do too much. As APs they’re quite fast. Probably not practical to avoid being tech support but wanted to share my experience that seems to echo your statement about the internet going out with the XT8.

but wanted to share my experience

The post you quoted is >1 year old and the author was last seen on SNB Forums in Mar 28, 2023.

1711984451583.png

Details:
NO WAY to wire backhaul
$$ not really an object

I would suggest hiring a local pro...

Advice here is given freely, but free is that stinky couch on the curb...