What's new

Wireless Bridge - AiMesh or Not?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BlueOrbit

Regular Contributor
Hello,

I am using AC86U as a wireless bridge connected to AX86U router and all works well. It appears I don't really need AiMesh to extend my WiFi, but I know if I configure the AC86U as a AiMesh node (over wireless backhaul), the Wireless Bridge function will still work for LAN connected devices (Xbox, laptop, TV) to the back of the unit.

A couple of questions:
  1. Can I expect the same wireless bridge performance on the AiMesh node for the LAN connected devices as when I run in a wireless bridge mode on the AC86U?
  2. Is there any advantage for me to chose AiMesh over Wireless Bridge mode, even if I don't really need better WiFi coverage?
I did notice in the past that wireless devices connected to an AiMesh node have a slower connection than when no AiMesh is used and everything is connected to the router directly.

Thanks for any input on this!

A wired backhaul AiMesh v2.0 setup is great. Wireless backhaul, not so much.

If a single router can effectively address all areas you want coverage in, then adding a wireless AiMesh node is usually detrimental to the overall network experience. If you do have wired devices that can use a spare router in Bridge Mode, do so. The fewer clients connected wirelessly, the better the network experience for all connected devices. Also, the Bridge router will be communicating with the main router at an enhanced potential vs. what each wired device connected to it could over its own Wi-Fi.

Media Bridge Mode

Repeater mode = wireless AiMesh

Can I expect the same wireless bridge performance on the AiMesh node for the LAN connected devices as when I run in a wireless bridge mode on the AC86U?

When you have wireless connected devices to the same router the total available bandwidth will be split between your wired and wireless devices. It's the same radio serving both. If your Wi-Fi coverage is good with one router only, better keep it this way. One less point of failure in your setup.

Hello,

I am using AC86U as a wireless bridge connected to AX86U router and all works well. It appears I don't really need AiMesh to extend my WiFi, but I know if I configure the AC86U as a AiMesh node (over wireless backhaul), the Wireless Bridge function will still work for LAN connected devices (Xbox, laptop, TV) to the back of the unit.

A couple of questions:
  1. Can I expect the same wireless bridge performance on the AiMesh node for the LAN connected devices as when I run in a wireless bridge mode on the AC86U?
  2. Is there any advantage for me to chose AiMesh over Wireless Bridge mode, even if I don't really need better WiFi coverage?
I did notice in the past that wireless devices connected to an AiMesh node have a slower connection than when no AiMesh is used and everything is connected to the router directly.

Thanks for any input on this!

I'd stay away from AiMesh completely if you can, I tried over the years and even had issues with wired backhaul...
Went the other route and my setup is now almost perfect. Wired Access Point (TP link) with separate SSID (iOT for stationary devices - all on 2.4GHz) close to the other side of the house for IPcam's and Doorbell, Door locks....
Keeping 2.4GHZ and 5GHz bands on separate SSID's, mobile devices only connect to 5GHz band, simply works, no more rebooting required....

A wired backhaul AiMesh v2.0 setup is great. Wireless backhaul, not so much.

If a single router can effectively address all areas you want coverage in, then adding a wireless AiMesh node is usually detrimental to the overall network experience. If you do have wired devices that can use a spare router in Bridge Mode, do so. The fewer clients connected wirelessly, the better the network experience for all connected devices. Also, the Bridge router will be communicating with the main router at an enhanced potential vs. what each wired device connected to it could over its own Wi-Fi.

Media Bridge Mode

Repeater mode = wireless AiMesh
I have an AiMesh in wireless repeater mode, the 2nd unit is in an out building. The two routers are in the closest facing 2nd story windows, and it works surprisingly ok over 50 feet with two walls between. It does not work well when stream music online or from my desktop. I have always planned to run ethernet for a wired backhaul configuration. But I was wondering if a "point to point wireless bridge". I'm not sure if that's the correct term, but meaning a setup that has two outdoor antennas, and claim to work over long distances. Do you know if that would work as a "wireless wire" for wired backhaul mode?

I'd appreciate any thoughts if you used such a system.

thanks, Paul.

Things should work the same yet if it is not broken, done fix it.

I have an AiMesh in wireless repeater mode, the 2nd unit is in an out building. The two routers are in the closest facing 2nd story windows, and it works surprisingly ok over 50 feet with two walls between. It does not work well when stream music online or from my desktop. I have always planned to run ethernet for a wired backhaul configuration. But I was wondering if a "point to point wireless bridge". I'm not sure if that's the correct term, but meaning a setup that has two outdoor antennas, and claim to work over long distances. Do you know if that would work as a "wireless wire" for wired backhaul mode?

I'd appreciate any thoughts if you used such a system.

thanks, Paul.
Have you ever tried changing the antennas? They come with five dpi antennas, try using a nine.

Also, to the original poster using bridge mode, what speed does the bridge say it’s connected at? And what are the speed test on both sides of the bridge?