What's new

Wireless connection slowly got worse, using R7000 (router) and ac68u as repeater.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rpunya

New Around Here
Hey guys,

I was using the ac68u as my main router until I decided to buy the R7000 to use as the main router. I found the netgear to have a stronger range output as opposed to the ac68u. I then wanted to extend the signal to my garage, so I set up the ac68u as a repeater, even though I know it's not as strong as fishing a ethernet cable to it.

5 days ago when I first set it up, having over 20+ connections to the router, I was getting 60 mbps on speedtest. This was connected wirelessly to both the main router and the repeater. I was feeling pretty confident about this set-up. Two days later, I began experiencing 40mbps wirelessly to both connections. Nobody really torrents or downloads here, the most we do is stream Netflix. However, I decided to hard-wire into the main router and was receiving my 60mbps I was getting before.

Today, I'm receiving 15mbps on wireless, and my fiance's laptop is also experiencing 15mbps. However, my mother is receiving 60mbps wirelessly on her computer that is 5 feet away from the router. So I put my laptop 5 feet away from the router like hers is, and to my surprise I STILL only got 15mbps wirelessly. Same with my fiance, her laptop only receives 15mbps near the router. We both have N-1000 wireless chips in our laptops.

Only two computers in the household are receiving 60mbps on a wireless connection. Everybody else, including phones that used to get 60mbps, are now only experiencing 15-25mbps downloads and 10-15mbps uploads. The uploads have remained the same since day one, but the downloads keep fluctuating between computers. Any ideas?

I should mention that both routers are on stock firmware. I've also tried unplugging both modem and router/repeater for 30 seconds or more each cycle. I have also tried reconfiguring the router and repeater again. I have also tried using just the router for a day and keeping the repeater unplugged, but I still get the same connections to the router as I did to the repeater.

tl;dr:
Five days ago every device including smart phones and tablets received ~60mbps down, ~15mbps up. Now, only two computers are receiving 60mbps down/15mbps up, others are receiving 15-25mbps down/15mbps up. R7000 set up as main router, ac68u set up as repeater. Every device is connected wirelessly.

Attached are two lists of speed tests I've been continually taking since January 1st. The 2-3 of 60mbps connections are when I hard-wired into the router. Everything else is wireless.

Attachments

• Speedtest(1).jpg
    Speedtest(1).jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 554
  • Speedtest(2).jpg
    Speedtest(2).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
I had an issue with mine (r7000) until I turned off/ unchecked all the QoS features on all three tabs in the QoS Setup.

Mine was set to auto-update and I think that is why it worked and then a few weeks ago started acting awfully. My Ping rate jumped from 10ms to 185ms and my speeds went way down, no matter where I was in the house.

After I turned of QoS, everything when back to normal. My update to the new firmware (V1.0.2.194_1.0.15) prior to turning off QoS did not fix the issue. Only turning off QoS fixed it.

I hope this works for you too!

Did you make sure that there isn't any congestion? use the older version of Inssider (they now charge 20 for the new version) or use the amped wireless branded version of it (still free) on your laptop and scan for networks to see if a lot of them might be using the same channel you are. That could explain a lot.

Also if you are on a congested channel with your router you are repeating a bad connection.

If it's a really congested area configure to 20Mhz channel width for 2.4Ghz devices.

Thanks for your posts. I have QoS turned off on all three tabs but am still seeing no improvement. As of right now my router is the only one on channel 11. I can't find where to change the channel to 20Mhz however. Any idea on how to accomplish that?

Speeds are still the same after turning off QoS and changing to Channel 11.

My settings are:

Channel: Auto

Channel: 153

Both channels are set to: WPA2-PSK [AES]

Not sure if that helps...

My settings are:

Channel: Auto

Channel: 153

Both channels are set to: WPA2-PSK [AES]

Not sure if that helps...

Unfortunately it didn't :( Do you by any chance get weak speed signals when on your R7000? Sometimes I drop from 150mbps to 54mbps. Happens a lot with the other laptops in this house so I'm positive it isn't just mine.

Did you try 6 or 1?

The channel width setting should be under "advanced settings" or something like that.

Enabling 20/40MHz. coexistence on the 2.4GHz. band does it for me on my R7000. My channel width is 20MHz. with that setting enabled. If I disable that setting, the router tries to use 40MHz. channel width.

So far changing the recommended settings hasn't worked unfortunately. My confusion still lies in why two of our computers are receiving 60mbps on wireless with every other device receiving 15-25mbps. That's the part I'm having trouble with.

This reminds me of an issue with some vendors' uPNP implementation, where, in very broad terms, it would reduce throughput to a very low value... it would run the particular client session out of memory.

It's an old bug, but there hasn't been much development there. If it's enabled, try turning uPNP off for a bit and see what happens after a power cycle.

On the R7000 Wireless Settings Page for 2.4GHz, set the channel to a non-congested channel which can be determined using Inssider. Next, to set it for 20MHz on the 2.4GHz, you must change the Mode to 289 Mbps and be sure to use WPA2 AES. Mode 54 Mbps = G speed, Mode 600 Mbps = 40MHz N speed -which can clog the spectrum and slow speeds down for everyone nearby =
Sometimes I drop from 150mbps to 54mbps.
It's safest to just use 20MHz Mode. Also, the repeater is halving your throughput(for the devices connected to the repeater wirelessly) by replaying the signal.

Last edited:
So far changing the recommended settings hasn't worked unfortunately. My confusion still lies in why two of our computers are receiving 60mbps on wireless with every other device receiving 15-25mbps. That's the part I'm having trouble with.

Are they identical hardware wise? Probably not.

They may be doing all they can then.