What's new

Wireless lockup problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

takeawaydave

Occasional Visitor
Hi been encountering a problem where my laptop as well as desktop start to not be able to access the network and rebooting my rt-ac66u (with 3.0.0.4.372.30_2) appears to solve the problem. Not sure what its related to nor how to proceed in narrowing down the problem.
symptoms are varying:
1. sometimes a ping to router is possible - other time no route to host.
2. ssh router on to router mostly doesn't work when it does its slow and a slow sesssion ensues.
3. a nslookup to external website e.g. nslookup google may resolve some times not.

I don't see packet errors on the local adapter. and the wireless signal has max bars (not bad reception). Using the 2.4 Ghz network.

I suspect this is the start up log not the one capturing any problem but a guru eye may spot something :)

http://pastebin.com/embed_js.php?i=EXCpG8xE

Recently set dnsmasq up not sure if this is to blame.
Thanks for looking and any advice on troubleshooting appreciated.

Seems to be a problem with dnsmasq. When I reconfigure the local laptop NIC away from dhcp by giving a static address and DNS as a fixed 8.8.8.8 the internet connection resumes.

any ideas what could cause this ? otherwise it's back to using a localhosts file.

Last post I made was rubbish nothing to do with dnsmasq. Looks to be more like the wireless settings.
Most wireless clients (ipad, 2 x iphones) are ok, mac pro and macbook giving same wireless trouble through.
I have connected macbook to the router using an ethernet cable and i have a fast stable connection.

Could the "b/g Protection" cause such a problem ?

Last post I made was rubbish nothing to do with dnsmasq. Looks to be more like the wireless settings.
Most wireless clients (ipad, 2 x iphones) are ok, mac pro and macbook giving same wireless trouble through.
I have connected macbook to the router using an ethernet cable and i have a fast stable connection.

Could the "b/g Protection" cause such a problem ?

Since your issue is Mac-specific, I would have a look here:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=8835

Thanks Merlin - That was a great help and I enabled the 80211d broadcast for w0 and no problems have yet arisen.
I was also having a drop between my Linksys AC wumc710 bridge and rt-acc66u so I have also enabled on w1 to see whether there was the same root cause here.