What's new

Wireless "Media" Ethernet Bridge With Audio Output and Airplay Capabilty?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PisaOrange

New Around Here
My wireless router died, and I hitherto had been using my Sputnik-era Airport Express (wall wart variety) in WDS mode to stream (a) via Ethernet to my DVD player and (b) iTunes via its audio output.

Yes, a tall order, and I'm batting zero except for the Edimax CV-7438nDM (http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail.php?pd_id=486&pl1_id=1&pl2_id=123), which is the only device I could find that seems to fit the bill.

My new and fast ASUS router does not support this Draconian configuration (the AE will only work in WDS via WEP security), and I am looking for a solution.

Has anybody had any experience with the forementioned device, and/or have any suggestions that might fit the bill.

Apple TV -- until it supports local broadcasts and works like a cable box -- is not an option, and I don't even know if it (a) work as an Ethernet bridge or (b) has a hardwire audio output.

Many thanks in advance,

Paul S.

My wireless router died, and I hitherto had been using my Sputnik-era Airport Express (wall wart variety) in WDS mode to stream (a) via Ethernet to my DVD player and (b) iTunes via its audio output.

Yes, a tall order, and I'm batting zero except for the Edimax CV-7438nDM (http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail.php?pd_id=486&pl1_id=1&pl2_id=123), which is the only device I could find that seems to fit the bill.

My new and fast ASUS router does not support this Draconian configuration (the AE will only work in WDS via WEP security), and I am looking for a solution.

Has anybody had any experience with the forementioned device, and/or have any suggestions that might fit the bill.

Apple TV -- until it supports local broadcasts and works like a cable box -- is not an option, and I don't even know if it (a) work as an Ethernet bridge or (b) has a hardwire audio output.

Many thanks in advance,

Paul S.

Airport Express - the 802.11n based versions support client mode, so you should be able to stream fine to it - I suggest shopping on Craigslist or eBay and finding the previous generation 802.11n Airport Express - it's single radio but dual band (either 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz) - supposedly it has a better DAC for audio compared to the more recent 2012 edition.

The ASUS router should work fine with it - I don't have first hand experience with Asus (except for their travel stick router), but Multicast should work out of the box.

sfx