What's new

Wireless much slower than wired.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Revelstone77

Regular Contributor
Hi,
I have an AI mesh consisting of an AX88u as the core and an AX56u and an AC86u. Any device connected to wired ethernet reports 50M + on speedtest which is what i would expect. Devices on wireless, be it 2g or 5g range between 5M and 11M. Any suggestions on where I can start looking? I'm on the latest versions of Merlin.

thanks,

Hi,
I have an AI mesh consisting of an AX88u as the core and an AX56u and an AC86u. Any device connected to wired ethernet reports 50M + on speedtest which is what i would expect. Devices on wireless, be it 2g or 5g range between 5M and 11M. Any suggestions on where I can start looking? I'm on the latest versions of Merlin.

thanks,
You should post your settings (both general and professional tabs) for 2.4 and 5 before anyone can make suggestions...

Your mesh is hardwired together, not wireless, right?
If there's no specific reason to use the 2.4GHz band on your network, you might consider disabling those radios - the 5GHz spectrum is much less congested...but the AC86 keeps you at WiFi5.
It also couldn't hurt to re-think AiMesh vs router+APs
Have you scanned around with WiFiRadar? I'd wager you're in a noisy/busy radio environment and need to tune your settings, after finding some clearer space.

Your mesh is hardwired together, not wireless, right?
If there's no specific reason to use the 2.4GHz band on your network, you might consider disabling those radios - the 5GHz spectrum is much less congested...but the AC86 keeps you at WiFi5.
It also couldn't hurt to re-think AiMesh vs router+APs
Have you scanned around with WiFiRadar? I'd wager you're in a noisy/busy radio environment and need to tune your settings, after finding some clearer space.
all hardwired. unfortunately I do have a need for 2.4. I went into wifiradar and went into channel stats and it says available capacity 0% on all networks. Not sure what to do from here.

Is there an easy way to scrape them?
You can do something as simple as a print screen (on a Windows machine) and edit it in something like Paint... It all depends on the platform you are using to access the router.

all hardwired. unfortunately I do have a need for 2.4. I went into wifiradar and went into channel stats and it says available capacity 0% on all networks. Not sure what to do from here.

In that case 5 to 10M on 2.4 is pretty good. Should be able to get a lot more on 5. Disable universal beamforming and see if that helps.

Is there an easy way to scrape them?
I typically use the "Snipping Tool" in Windows, and paste the necessary screens into a Word docx for safe keeping before starting on any major refresh.

You should post your settings (both general and professional tabs) for 2.4 and 5 before anyone can make suggestions...
1681691071706.png

1681691160830.png

1681691342847.png

1681691378432.png

I also have to ask about the device you are using to test your wireless speeds...
Thanks, but unfortunately it didnt help. Running speedtest.net on three different laptops, one brand new with very little on it. Oddly enough, its only the download speed that is affected. Upload is 11 which is the cap on my service. I would suspect Comcast if it wasn't for the fact that wired internet is normal at 50+.

What is 50M, 5M and 11M? What is your ISP service plan in Mbps up/down and what connection - xDSL, Cable, Fiber? Do you have ISP provided modem or modem/router? Give us some more details otherwise no one can help you. You have upgraded some time back your AC86U to AX88U. What is this AC86U still doing on your network and why another AX56U was added? Do you really need 3x routers? More Wi-Fi is not better.

What is 50M, 5M and 11M? What is your ISP service plan in Mbps up/down and what connection - xDSL, Cable, Fiber? Do you have ISP provided modem or modem/router? Give us some more details otherwise no one can help you. You have upgraded some time back your AC86U to AX88U. What is this AC86U still doing on your network and why another AX56U was added? Do you really need 3x routers? More Wi-Fi is not better.
My cable internet service is 50 Mbps dl and 10Mbps ul. I supply the modem which is a Arris Surfboard. The ax56u is in my shop building via wired Ethernet and the ac86u is in the master bedroom which is in the other end of the house from where the ax88u is. Signal was spotty in the bedroom which is why I put the 86 there. I’ve had this configuration for several years and all has been fine. As I said, any wired devices are reporting full dl speed. It’s only devices on wireless that are exhibiting the problem and it doesn’t matter if it’s 2.4G or 5G.

My cable internet service is 50 Mbps dl and 10Mbps ul. I supply the modem which is a Arris Surfboard. The ax56u is in my shop building via wired Ethernet and the ac86u is in the master bedroom which is in the other end of the house from where the ax88u is. Signal was spotty in the bedroom which is why I put the 86 there. I’ve had this configuration for several years and all has been fine. As I said, any wired devices are reporting full dl speed. It’s only devices on wireless that are exhibiting the problem and it doesn’t matter if it’s 2.4G or 5G.

Did anything change - update firmware etc? Does it happen when connected to both master and node?

Fail-safe and IoT friendly Wi-Fi settings on my test AX86U unit:

Getting >66MB/sec (>520Mbps) to LAN attached NAS with 2-stream AC client connected at 866Mbps link speed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!