What's new

wireless N lan speed slow

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

goldensausage

New Around Here
hope this is the right place to post.

according to wikipedia, wireless N is supposed to have a theoretical speed of 600Mb/s.

i dont know why, but when im transferring a while from a wireless N laptop to a desktop PC connected to my wireless N router using ethernet, i only get ~1.5-2 MB/s. Ethernet is ofc faster than wireless so the bottleneck is not my desktop.

If the theoretical speed is 600Mb/s, then i should get around 75MB/s. I do that many things can throttle the speed, such as current throughput and using WEP security (which i am) which can throttle down to 54Mb/s, but even then i should be getting higher speeds. My total throughput is very low as im usually the only person in the household using the connection, and there r no active wireless G devices to burden the router.

what speeds do u guys achieve?

i read this...thats how i found out abt the throttling scenarios. but even after reading this, it still doesnt add up for me because its just too slow to be true thats y i posted here. it was that useful page that brought me to this forum anyways

hope this is the right place to post.

according to wikipedia, wireless N is supposed to have a theoretical speed of 600Mb/s.

i dont know why, but when im transferring a while from a wireless N laptop to a desktop PC connected to my wireless N router using ethernet, i only get ~1.5-2 MB/s. Ethernet is ofc faster than wireless so the bottleneck is not my desktop.

If the theoretical speed is 600Mb/s, then i should get around 75MB/s. I do that many things can throttle the speed, such as current throughput and using WEP security (which i am) which can throttle down to 54Mb/s, but even then i should be getting higher speeds. My total throughput is very low as im usually the only person in the household using the connection, and there r no active wireless G devices to burden the router.

what speeds do u guys achieve?
WiFi 802.11's air link bit rates are the burst rates of data frames. The net yield of this, after WiFi overhead, and another 15% or so for IP and TCP overhead, is about 60% of the air link burst rate, absent errors and competition for air time with neighbors.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!