What's new

Wireless range extension with same SSID

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ajayav

New Around Here
Hi All - first post on this forum. I'm pretty computer savvy but networking always beats me :confused:

Here's what I want to achieve:

I want to have a network with the same SSID (not SSID, SSID_1, SSID_2 etc) available all around the house. Previously I achieved this with the base station and a repeater (Netgear N150 WGR614v10). This was done with WEP encrytption. I tried the same setup over WPA2 but it would work only with WEP. Now I have a new router (Nokia G140W-C) that uses dual band 2.4/5 GHz connection. Could anyone guide me on how to get this same setup with dual band and WPA2 encryption?

I'm not sure if I have given all necessary details, so please feel free to ask me any details required. I will try my best to provide them as accurately as possible. I'm also willing to purchase new mid-range hardware if required.

Looking forward to some solutions!
Thanks in Advance for the solution and your patience ;)

I do this all the time. It’s as easy as setting the same SSID on all routers, repeaters and bands. That’s basically what the mesh systems do - the only difference is that they use a dedicated backhaul channel to the main unit for speed and to eliminate interference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your reply mjc775. I think I need a new repeater to try this out since the one I have now works on a single band. I'll try and let you know if I run into any problems. Thank you once again!

Should work with single band but ... performance will be compromised.

Netgear 6150 has similar form factor, dual band with "fast lane" which allows you to use one band for back haul to router and the other band for clients.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!