What's new

Wireless Region - Dropping back from 5g to 2g when setting to "Asia default" to "Australia"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bitmonster

Has anyone else noticed when setting the region off the default Asia to (in my case "Australia") that the clients then mostly fell back to 2G? Which is congested and not very good at my location. 5G is so much better.

I reset the region back to Asia (Default) and sure enough the clients then fell back up to 5G.

Has anyone else noticed when setting the region off the default Asia to (in my case "Australia") that the clients then mostly fell back to 2G? Which is congested and not very good at my location. 5G is so much better.

I reset the region back to Asia (Default) and sure enough the clients then fell back up to 5G.

That is expected, since changing region change power level which router is using to output signal, since 5ghz has shorter range devices fall back when power is reduced, less power is shorter range.

So "Asia default" uses a higher 5G power than "Australia"? Odd.. Well I'm keeping it on "Asia" if 5G works better on that region then.

So "Asia default" uses a higher 5G power than "Australia"? Odd.. Well I'm keeping it on "Asia" if 5G works better on that region then.
It also depends which part of country bootloader is from, ultimately that will determine. example where i live boot loader default to USA, since Canada and use share same parameter for both bands.

Yeah well I thought the Australian region would be *less* restrictive not more. So I wonder what the best region is to set it at, or what the differences actually are

Yeah well I thought the Australian region would be *less* restrictive not more. So I wonder what the best region is to set it at, or what the differences actually are
You never told which router you are using.

I think with Asia your 2G will be reduced so devices will connect to 5G, set to Australia they get full 2G power and so connect to it.

Just use some WiFi analyzer and look how channels and power are changing!
Will your devices support the 5G channel used (e.g. EU devices dont allow ch. 149+), or others mostly older wont connect to DFS channels.

Asus-rt-ac86u Merlin

That may make some sense, thanks I'll run some tests.

I would much prefer the 5G band so even if 2G is reduced I may keep it on Asia (Default).

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk