What's new

Wireless router for both CCTV and WiFi Hotspot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

S

slashdevslashnull

Hi,

I have recently upgraded CCTV system in my cafe and I have switched (partially for now) from analog cameras to IP cameras. After some thinking I came to a conclusion that I should look deeper into the security of my network. But let's start from the beginning.

For years I have been using an old Linksys WRT54GL router that a free hotspot company once gave my and after a year or two the company had been shut and they left me the router. This Linksys router used to have some alternative firmware with their captive portal but I have replaced it with a stock factory firmware.

I also own two other routers, one is Asus WL-500gp v2 and another is Tp-Link TL-WR740N.

Like I wrote before I have swithed from analog cameras to IP cameras and currently I have 6 analog and 2 IP cameras, all connected to the DVR - IP cameras are connected through a Tp-Link TL-SG2210P PoE switch.

What I would like to achieve is to secure my CCTV network an isolate it from my free WiFi hotspot that I am offering to my clients. As far as I know Asus is the most powerful of all my routers. Would it be capable of dealing with two SSIDs (one guest WiFi and one for my personal use) that I would like to separate (probably using VLAN). Moreover I would like to still be able to watch my cameras over the Internet just like I can now.

This is how my network looks like right now:

http://i.imgur.com/NDrJGMk.jpg

Should I look for something more powerful that my Asus or maybe it would handle my setup after I install another firmware?

Thanks!

The most common way to do what you want is a VLAN. You could use tagged or not.

If you really like your Linksys there are probably alternate router softwares out there which will support VLANs. The Linksys WRT54GL is getting kind of old so a new router would not hurt.

I have never used either of your other routers.

PS
You could just plug your Linksys into the new router and run the hotspot off the new router. You would end up with a double NAT situation which I don’t like. Just look on the Linksys for the ports open for viewing the cameras over the internet and open those ports on the new router to point to the WAN port of Linksys DHCP IP address coming from the new router. This should allow viewing from the internet through the new router.
PSS
Make sure the 2 routers have different networks for the LAN side IP addressing. Maybe use 192,168,0.1 for one router and use 192.168.1.1 for the other router. I think the Linksys uses 192.168.1.1 but it has been over 10 years since I used one.

Last edited: