What's new

Wireless Router Mode and VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

resetter

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I am trying to use a VPN client on my ASUS RT-AX88U, this router is connected to a modem/router elsewhere via ethernet.
I cannot use the WAN port for the connection (ip conflict reported), but the LAN ports work. Thing is, the router WAN LED is always red and there is no internal (web interface) access to the internet. i.e. Network tools cannot see the net, via ping, etc.
I am able to access the net through the router as is but I need VPN client which is disabled in AP mode.
How might I go about getting the VPN functionality working in this setup?

Hi,
I am trying to use a VPN client on my ASUS RT-AX88U, this router is connected to a modem/router elsewhere via ethernet.
I cannot use the WAN port for the connection (ip conflict reported), but the LAN ports work. Thing is, the router WAN LED is always red and there is no internal (web interface) access to the internet. i.e. Network tools cannot see the net, via ping, etc.
I am able to access the net through the router as is but I need VPN client which is disabled in AP mode.
How might I go about getting the VPN functionality working in this setup?

Put the AX88 back in router mode and double NAT it behind your other router. In a double NAT setup the AX88 needs to be in a different subnet than your primary router. A LAN port on your primary router will connect to the WAN port on the AX88. Complete procedure attached. The double NAT setup works just fine with no measurable impact on performance.

Attachments

• How to double NAT two routers.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 257
The VPN client works by routing certain traffic through the VPN tunnel. Therefore the Asus must be in router mode for this to be possible.

For most users and most applications there is no disadvantage to a double NAT setup. Prior to Merlin's most current firmware setting up a VPN client was an issue but now it is much less so. There has never been a problem running a VPN client.

Attached are my test results demonstrating that there isn't a throughput impact from double NATing.

Attachments

• DoubleNatTest.txt
    2 KB · Views: 242

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!