What's new

Wireless router with openvpn client support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cowst

Hi,
I am likely going to subscribe to nordvpn at my parents' house.
Their connection is currently crap (promised 16mbit for 20 years, they are lucky if they ever got 10 across all the lying providers).

I already have nordvpn and although they say no throttling, my 120mbit behind vpn becomes 15 (but I have to check if it is my asus n66u hitting full cpu), which is still more than they have.

Instead of having a (open)VPN client per device, I thought to do it as I already do through the router.

Unfortunately I think on their vodafone station revolution they can only setup a vpn server, so I thought I would buy them a cheapish wireless router.

Besides my doubt with cpu limit, I am very happy with my asus and John FW, so I would be oriented in buying one asus as long as it is cheap enough, can bear vpn traffic of the above magnitude, and can be used with John FW.

Do you have any suggestion?

so I would be oriented in buying one asus as long as it is cheap enough

so here is the issue , to get faster vpn speeds you need a faster cpu , the 66u is pretty dam slow vpn wise and always will be , to get decent speeds but still not 120Mbps ( prob more like 70Mbps ) you will need to look at routers with 1.4 to 1.7 ghz cpu speeds and none of them are cheap eg asus rt-ac88u / ac3100 netgear r8500 etc etc , eg top of the line stuff , the cheaper you go the slower the vpn will be

Thanks for the answer.
So the options are:
- if I don't really need more than 15mbit on VPNed devices, shut up and live your life :)
- save money for something expensive
- or use up more vpn accounts to enable the vpn on the separate devices (assuming they have a better cpu than the router)

Or build a pfSense box out of an old retired PC. Probably costs more than a N66, but should cost less than the other faster options.

It would be a good suggestion but I don't want a pc running all day just for that for consumption and kids doom reasons :)
Also, I never realized that I don't have a retired pc. My last one was over 10 years ago ,3 houses and one country ago ,after that ,new laptops every time the old one self destroyed :D

All of my retired PCs were too old to really be useful as well. My last "new" desktop purchase was in Nov of 2007. :eek: Although that box is still running just fine today....but still purposed as a secondary PC in my home office.

My "retired" PC came from the local electronics recycler. They "refurb" 5'ish year old Enterprise desktops and sell them for $50-100 depending on configuration. Pick up a $25 Ethernet card and off to pfSense land we go! :)

I picked through what they had trying to find the lowest wattage CPU....which isn't that "low" compared to new options. However I think the box idles around 30W maybe? It sits in my basement next to the rest of my servers and network gear so I don't normally have to see or hear it.

Yes, I would have considered a refurbished option if this was really important to me, however, for now my kids suck the life out of any always-on technological appliance, so I'll pass for now :D

One doesn't need to have OpenVPN on the router as a client...

Set up openvpn on an old laptop/desktop, and use that IP address as the GW for end-points....