What's new

Wireless Setup Question (Guest Access Issues)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

95coupe

New Around Here
This is my first post here so if this is in the wrong section please let me know. I am currently working on a little side project for a church adn have the following set up in place:

Asus rt-n66r wireless router w/ stock firmware
cisco 3550 poe 12.1 code
3 Engenious ECB350 Wireless radios in AP mode.

The way that I have everything set up is I have the radios in Access point mode with all 3 radios having different SSIDs with a statically assigned ip address.

The switch is very vanilla having the uplink port being a trunk port, and all the other ports just being on vlan 1.

The Asus is just set up with the static addresses of the switch and the radios reserved and handing out DHCP addresses to the radios and to the switch.

My problem is that the client has changed their mind and they want to have the same SSID on all of the radios and they would also like to separate the traffic and have a guest vlan (guest ssid) and a private ssid just for staff members.

My plan for this is to use the vlan tagging feature on the access points and tag the SSID with a vlan (ie Vlan 15 will be PrivateSSID and Vlan 10 will be Guest wireless). I will then put each port for the access points on trunk. My question comes with the Asus router. I have no clue how to make all of this work using that device. I am kind of stuck with it at this point as the budget has been chewed up and I need to get this done. Any and all help is appreciated and if I can explain any of this in a better way or give more details I would be happy to.

TL;DR I need to figure out how to do vlans on a asus rt-n66r router.

i think you'd probably have to install dd-wrt on the router. dd-wrt has a nifty vlan gui.

Ok, i was going to see if I could get away with just using the merlin firmware. Anyone else have any ideas of how to set it up with out using dd-wrt? I am just curious if I am over complicating things or not.

Also I am curious if running merlin would be easier and i could just run a daul WAN set up or something like that. I can do this all day with our stuff at work but doing stuff like this with a wireless router at home is driving me nuts.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!