What's new

Wireless that wont lock up?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bearxor

New Around Here
Warning! Wall of text!

So here's the deal. I had been using a WNDR-3700 since they were new and hated it from the start. The wireless range was good, but not quite good enough to work on the opposite side of the house. The routing was OK, but not being able to do Port Redirection was always a sticking point with me. I adapted and moved things to where they could all be accessible on different ports, but Netgears decision to withhold this really basic feature my WRT54G v2 had to their "non-consumer" routers really irks me and so I've kind of sworn off buying Netgear in the future.

But finally, my 3700 died and so it's time to move on to a new router.

Over the past month, I've used a n65r, n66r, EA3500 and EA4500. Not a huge DLink fan either so haven't really paid attention to their offerings and the last Belkin I used didn't support NAT Loopback so they're out.

But the one thing from each of the routers I've tried out is that they lock up on me after some usage. Sometimes a couple of days, sometimes a week.

What I eventually settled on is using an Atom Ubuntu box as a router and grabbing a n66r, putting it in my bedroom, which is more central in the house, and using it as an AP only. That was about two weeks ago.

Everything was working well, and I was pretty happy, but today my Internet slowed to a crawl. Pulled up speed test on the iPad and was only hitting about 1.5Mbps on a 50Mbit connection.

I reset the Ubuntu box. It still persisted. I called my ISP, they weren't experiencing any problems. I fired up my ancient HTPC that I hadn't used since I'd given up on MCE, and it hit about 30Mbps on a speed test.

Logged in to the n66r on my network, reboot it, and a minute later everything was humming along fine.

See, I had always thought I was choking the router part of the boxes. That maybe if I just used them as WAP's, everything would be fine. That is apparently not the case. I must be overwhelming the CPU with connections.

Just about everything in my house is wireless. We will always have, at a minimum, 9 devices connected by wireless, and that's if nobody is doing anything. If people start turning laptops on instead of using their iPads, the number is going to go up. In need to at least be able to constantly connect up to 19 wireless devices at one time on a mix of
2.4 and 5ghz. If something supports 5ghz, it's on that band. I've also set the channel width for my network at 20mhz. I don't need the extra speed for most devices in the house.

So I know I've kind of gone on and rambled for a bit, but I've really reached the end of my patience dealing with this stuff. All I want is a router that I can put in to AP mode and forget about it. Any suggestions?

We all face this issue. SOHO Wireless Routers on the market just not made for handle so many wireless connections before it starts to choke or goes duff!

SMB Wireless Router can handle more connections and take on more heavy load since their designed for that purpose. Have you looked into business network gear?

Or change your setup and run Wired Router then use Wireless AP to manage your Wireless Clients. Instead of just using an all-in-one Router to manage it all.

Check wireless drivers on ALL clients. Update as necessary. I've resolved several troubled wireless environments this way.

I feel your pain regarding the WNDR3700. I have several 3700V2 units and they all work perfectly when run only in AP mode. Router mode would require reboots every so often so I ended up either connecting to a timer or loading Gargoyle firmware and setting to reboot nightly. That helped a bit.

Asus N66U and AC66U have been going through a lot of firmware updates. I assume you've been watching the Asus pages on this forum and also looking at Merlin's custom firmware?

To be honest the only consumer wifi router I've had very good reliability with is the Apple Airport Extreme. They are not feature rich and wifi range/speed is a bit behind others, but their firmware is well written.

WiFi has it moments some days are better than others. Until they have it working 100% right we have to put up with some glitches.

Hey y'all. Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately, for the driver suggestion, the vast majority of devices in my network are appliances, not computers, so I can't really update the drivers.

It has locked up on me again though. I was thinking, what do you guys think about the N65? Would having separate processors for the 5 and 2.4 radios help me out?

is the lock-up fault-isolated to the client device or to the router?
You need to diagnose if it's the end device at fault, e.g., not doing DHCP correctly. If so, you're hosed if they have no fix- other than putting it on a AC power timer to cycle it once a day or some such.

Want high reliability in a router: Don't buy a consumer router like D-Link, Netgear and, sadly, now Linksys.

Get one that's sold into the machine-to-machine market - where things run unattended non-stop. Cradlepoint is one such vendor. There are 3 or so vendors in this space. You won't seem them at Best-buy.