What's new

Wireless to wireless (to wireless)... I'm confused

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BCSteve

Regular Contributor
Say I have Network A and Network B and they are independent, but within Network B is a server. A and B are within wireless range. How can A connect to B's server (but without full access to B's network) all via wireless?

Its probably simple, but I don't have a great understanding of these things. Are special routers required that can utilize two different wireless signals at once? Or two routers in each network (one to handle A/B and one to bridge A and B)?

Sorry for the stupid question... just kinda baffled. I'm sure once I get pointed in the right direction, I can learn more on my own.

To connect WiFi network A to B, i.e., for whatever reason no router/wired means is intended.... here's a common way...

WiFi network A has a WiFi router.
Network B (can) have a WiFi client bridge. This bridge device's antenna/WiFi is a client of network A, just like a laptop or handheld. But the bridge also has an ethernet port. A cat5 cable goes from that port to a PC or an ethernet switch with many PCs/devices on network B. Since Network B is a client of A, network B has no router. The bridge has to be setup with the encryption key and so on for Network A, as any client would. PCs on network B that use DHCP would get an IP address from the DHCP server (in the router) of Network A.

It can get more elaborate than this.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!