What's new

Withdrew from 'Privacy' on RT-AC68U speed boost

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dirtfarmmonkeyfish

New Around Here
After disabling or withdrawing from sharing information with Asus under the Administration section, the router is so much faster now, especially when navigating the Asus-Merlin router interface but websites also seem to come up slightly faster.

I recently changed the DNS to Secure DNS (DNS-over-TLS) which added a small amount of latency but now I think its back to its pre DNS change speed or faster!

Does anyone know of any other such speed boost compared to this?

Not recommended, but for speed boost? Disable the firewall of both the modem/ONT/router and the devices you'll use.

Sure, it will speed. It will just allow others to hack faster too. :)

General rule, turn off anything you don't need to free up resources. Everyone has different requirements. Some things have low overhead but no point in running something you don't use or is duplicated on another device.

Dare I say it, move functions away from from basic architecture tasks (i.e. run as little as possible on your router) and distribute services to other devices when possible or to devices designed specifically for the intended purpose. :)

After disabling or withdrawing from sharing information with Asus under the Administration section, the router is so much faster now, especially when navigating the Asus-Merlin router interface but websites also seem to come up slightly faster.

I recently changed the DNS to Secure DNS (DNS-over-TLS) which added a small amount of latency but now I think its back to its pre DNS change speed or faster!

Does anyone know of any other such speed boost compared to this?
Did you by chance also reboot the router at this time? If so, this is a well known (almost placebo) effect: everything seems snappy after a restart for a period of time. :)

I've noticed this with one specific app. Its called "Wifi Sweet Spots". Quite useful at times, however I think it does something to the router it cannot handle well.

This appears to test 'pure' wifi speed vs. internet speeds. I dont know exactly how it works but the traffic does not leave the router.

Setup:
My old AC68U (IIRC, versions 384.4- 364.16) (I've since upgraded to 2x 86Us)
AI Protection ON
Specifically Two Way IPS protection ON
No QOS (CTF Acceleration Enabled)
Connected to 5GHz radio
No addons.

Starting the test, the graph would max out at a speed of ~220Mbps. If you had the web interface open, you would see both cores shoot to 100% and if you let the test run for longer than a few seconds, the Web UI would become unresponsive. It recovers after you stop the test.

If you disabled Two Way IPS (only) and repeated the test, you would get about 500Mbps but the cores would do the same thing and the Web UI would also freeze.

However, both settings for Two Way IPS have no 'real' world implication for your normal internet speedtest test, because even though the Wifi sweet spots test with IPS on maxed out at 200Mbps, i could still get ~500Mbps though a typical internet speed test.

I also vaguely remember the values back from the 380.xx days, I recall IPS off ~850Mbps and ~400Mbps IPS On.

Odd. Not sure what it all means, perhaps if someone knew what the app was actually doing it would help.

Also not sure if this pertains to the OP but its always good to share these odd observations.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!