What's new

WLAN client not visible

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rooby

Regular Contributor
Hello

I have a RT-AC88 U with 384.15 and when I connect a notebook by wifi via a Fritz WLAN repeater then the device is not showing up in the device list. Also the repeater is missing.
Is this normal ? It would be helpful to see all connected devices even repeaters.
I see as a bit of dangerous if there could be hidden device which have acess to the router even if this would be a repeater.

Thanks
Stefan

Last edited:
It depends on exactly how your repeater has been designed to work. Different repeaters work in different ways. Some repeaters translate the clients MAC address into a different one. So you need to look for this "new" MAC address on your primary router.

Yes but at least the repeater or the device behind the repeater should be in the WLAN device list otherwise it can be somehow hidden which I see as a huge security risk.
It would then be technically possible to to hide a spy client which gets access but never listed in the GUI.
If I scan all device of my local LAN I can see them but not on the routers WLAN list.

Yes but at least the repeater or the device behind the repeater should be in the WLAN device list ...
Yes it would have to be. If it's not showing up either it's not connected to the router's AP or there's some firmware bug preventing it from being displayed. It's not possible for a WiFi client to be connected but be "invisible". Without knowing the specifics of your equipment and network setup it's not possible to speculate further.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!