What's new

WOL intermittent

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

loadyo

Occasional Visitor
I am running merlin on an asus RTn66U i have a VPN setup and i also have remote access enabled so i dont have to bother with setting up a VPN client on a guest machine. WOL initially works fine but maybe once a day it will not wake up my server, my server is set with a static IP address, the mac address is stored on the router on the WOL page, why is it stagnating, is there something i need to do extra with the WOL gui ?

It sounds like the device that you trying to wake is entering a (deep) power state therefore unable to receive the magic packet.
causes: bad or improper configured lan driver, device power settings.
The only time came i came across such issues was due to an improper shutdown.

'improper shutdown' would seem to coincide with the UNraid server performing a parity check upon someone physically starting it up for me. Dont understand why that would cause such an issue, improper or not a shut down is a shut down..is there anything i can do to overcome if it if it is indeed the case, this must be happening at a bios level

Last edited:
Well, no.
when an improper shutdown occurs the device no longer has the lan card powered therefore unable to receive packets.
When a pc has wake on lan setup and you shut it down the lan card remains powered.
improper shutdown= power failure, the user fiscally hold the power button till the device shutdown, also its been known that widows crashes also cause it.

Well, no.
when an improper shutdown occurs the device no longer has the lan card powered therefore unable to receive packets.
When a pc has wake on lan setup and you shut it down the lan card remains powered.
improper shutdown= power failure, the user fiscally hold the power button till the device shutdown, also its been known that widows crashes also cause it.

dont think it is an improper shutdown, windows is not to blame as it does not exist on the hardware, it is an UNraid server, i have acess to it via a VPN, i powered it down myself last night via the UNraid web GUI but it wont start up via WOL again.