What's new

WoL needs to unplug/replug the power to work!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nalooti

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I've been using Wake On Lan for few years without any problem on my W7 x64 and an Intel 82567LF-2 Gigabit controller inside the motherboard.

Now since few weeks, it doesn't always work. Sometimes I must unplug the power cord (when PC is off) and re-plug it. Then, sending a magic packet (by another computer on LAN) works and wake it up.

I had seen this behavior also few years ago but very rarely and I though it was because of static electricity accumulated on power circuitry (please note that I have an external laptop-like AC power adapter). Now it becomes almost systematic. That is every time I want to wake it up I have first to unplug re-plug the power cable on the back of the PC (I unplug the cable from the 4-pin DC power port).

What is this problem ? Did anyone experience this kind of behavior ? any solution ?

In the case my BIOS settings have been altered (which doesn't explain why it works after unplug/re-plug of the power cable), would you remind me those settings (don't remember the states S4 or S5, ...).

Also on my Intel card properties, I have enabled "Wake on Magic Packet". But there is also "Wake on Magic Packet from power-off state" that is not enabled. Should this be enabled ?

thanks

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!