What's new

WOL not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

loady

I specifically bought an asus tuff b450 for its WOL features, its enabled in the bios but i cant wake up/start the server, im using an asus RT-AC86U router running asus merlin, i set the mac address in WOL and i enabled Power On by PCIE . I know my set up used to work, i used to VPN into server remotley and could wake the server, doing it this way is the same as being inside the network and doing WOL, i cant even WOL when i am physically on the network. I have seen some threads about people saying to enable 'allow magic packets' in windows, im not using windows so cant do this but surely this should work on this level. Does anyone have a solution ?

i used to VPN into server remotley and could wake the server, doing it this way is the same as being inside the network and doing WOL, i cant even WOL when i am physically on the network.
As you know there are at least three ways to do this and it is likely not the router, even though you are still on .13. It sounds like you are doing this a fourth way.

Way #1: VPN into the router, and use a connection script to wake your server. That is sending a WOL from the router to your server. That's what I do with my 86U, except I'm waking a Windows box for RDP, not my server.
Way #2: VPN into the router, then access the router's WOL page to send the WOL packet to your server. Essentially the same thing.
Way #3: VPN into the router, then from your client send the WOL packet to your server.

I don't follow how you could VPN into the server remotely without it being awake in the first place (port forwarding I guess), but you can't WOL even when you are on the network, so this sounds like a server problem. Among the things to try: in your motherboard, in addition to activating the WOL, you might disable fast boot and deep sleep. I assume this is an onboard network and not a PCIe card, as that would require separate drivers.

Then, you have to look at whether your server os is supporting WOL in the first place. Servers are often assumed to be always on, so you can't do this in FreeNAS, for example. There may be cli methods of enabling ti.

As you know there are at least three ways to do this and it is likely not the router, even though you are still on .13. It sounds like you are doing this a fourth way.

Way #1: VPN into the router, and use a connection script to wake your server. That is sending a WOL from the router to your server. That's what I do with my 86U, except I'm waking a Windows box for RDP, not my server.
Way #2: VPN into the router, then access the router's WOL page to send the WOL packet to your server. Essentially the same thing.
Way #3: VPN into the router, then from your client send the WOL packet to your server.

I don't follow how you could VPN into the server remotely without it being awake in the first place (port forwarding I guess), but you can't WOL even when you are on the network, so this sounds like a server problem. Among the things to try: in your motherboard, in addition to activating the WOL, you might disable fast boot and deep sleep. I assume this is an onboard network and not a PCIe card, as that would require separate drivers.

Then, you have to look at whether your server os is supporting WOL in the first place. Servers are often assumed to be always on, so you can't do this in FreeNAS, for example. There may be cli methods of enabling ti.

Sorry i wasnt clear, i VPN into tmy network then accessing the routers WOL and waking from there, it doesnt wake.

I am running UNraid on my server and have done this before. I use open VPN GUI client on devices to access the router/network remotely, Are you saying that i send a WOL packet using the open VPN client ?, how does one do this ?

I thought that would be the idea with a WOL page on the router, it dirercts the packet to the MAC address. The NIC is onboard, not a NIC card

So this has nothing to do with your router or Merlin's firmware then?

I dont know.

I dont know.
From what you wrote it sounded like you had tried to send a WOL packet from a client (e.g. PC) on your LAN to your new motherboard (also on the same LAN) but that it didn't work. Is not not the case?

Yes i believe that is correct, it didnt work., so im sitting at my girlfriends house on my laptop, i turn on openVPN connect client and i can then access the router on the LAN at my house, navigate to the WOL page and send the packet by clicking the 'wake up' button but it doesnt wake

Is there additional port forwards i need to like forward UDP port 9

Yes i believe that is correct, it didnt work., so im sitting at my girlfriends house on my laptop, i turn on openVPN connect client and i can then access the router on the LAN at my house, navigate to the WOL page and send the packet by clicking the 'wake up' button but it doesnt wake
Remotely using the WOL page on the router is not the same as sending a WOL from a client on the LAN. Try installing a WOL utility on a LAN PC and using that instead of the router.

Is there additional port forwards i need to like forward UDP port 9
Port forwarding is not relevant here because you're using a VPN to connect to your LAN.

Remotely using the WOL page on the router is not the same as sending a WOL from a client on the LAN. Try installing a WOL utility on a LAN PC and using that instead of the router.

Port forwarding is not relevant here because you're using a VPN to connect to your LAN.

Try installing a WOL utility on a LAN PC and using that instead of the router.

So in theory on my laptop when i connect the VPN client to the router i am essentially on the LAN ?

It's also worth checking the power state that you are leaving the server in. For example:

So in theory on my laptop when i connect the VPN client to the router i am essentially on the LAN ?
Not with a TUN (routed) connection, only with a TAP (bridged) connection. With a TUN connection the client is on one LAN and the server is on another and there is routing between them. WOL packets will not normally go over a routed connection.

Another common problem with WOL is that after a while the MAC address of the target device will "age out" and therefore the WOL packet will never find it's way to the target.

Last edited:
Not with a TUN (routed) connection, only with a TAP (bridged) connection. With a TUN connection the client is on one LAN and the server is on another and there is routing between them. WOL packets will not normally go over a routed connection.

Another common problem with WOL is that after a while the MAC address of the target device will "age out" and therefore the WOL packet will never find it's way to the target.

i remember having the stagnating MAC, that was resolved by adding a perm line or something.

just also tried a WOL utility, just add the MAC of the server and its IP address, this didnt work, i guess im just missing something and dont understand

I dont know.
Yes, it sounds like this is a problem with the onboard NIC and the BIOS. In the BIOS, make sure ErP is disabled. If it is enabled WOL won't work.

When the computer is off and you think it should be able to WOL, make sure the LINK led on the onboard NIC is a steady Orange.

just also tried a WOL utility, just add the MAC of the server and its IP address, this didnt work, i guess im just missing something and dont understand
You'd have to move it off port 9 to like 5009, and then port forward 5009 to 9 on the server's IP address, which you would need to then reserve in the DHCP assignments.

i remember having the stagnating MAC, that was resolved by adding a perm line or something.
So you'll need to do this again for you new motherboard.

You'd have to move it off port 9 to like 5009, and then port forward 5009 to 9 on the server's IP address, which you would need to then reserve in the DHCP assignments.
As I said, port forwarding is not applicable here because he is connecting over a VPN.

its better to do it over VPN rather than opening ports ?

its better to do it over VPN rather than opening ports ?
Yes. And you can put it into the connection script so that the WOL is sent as soon as you make the VPN connection. Saves a few steps.

1. Create a script in /jffs/scripts called openvpn-client-connect.sh with
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# prevent administrator from logging in to VPN if you have a weak password
[ $username == "PUTYOURLOGINNAME HERE" ] && exit 1
# wake up a PC.  Add similar lines if you want to wake up other PCs.
/usr/sbin/ether-wake -i br0 -b "PUT THE MAC ADDRESS HERE"
logger "NAME OF PC woken by WOL"
exit 0
2. Make it executable/
3. Put into the server's custom configuration box this
Code:
client-connect /jffs/scripts/ovpn-client-connect.sh
4. Restart the OpenVPN server. Note that if there is a problem, like not making the script executable, the server will not start.

that is why an arp -s "ip" "mac" command is needed so that WOL can work ; this is what he probably refers to when he mentioned "by adding something perm" ...

1. Create a script in /jffs/scripts called openvpn-client-connect.sh with
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# prevent administrator from logging in to VPN if you have a weak password
[ $username == "PUTYOURLOGINNAME HERE" ] && exit 1
# wake up a PC.  Add similar lines if you want to wake up other PCs.
/usr/sbin/ether-wake -i br0 -b "PUT THE MAC ADDRESS HERE"
logger "NAME OF PC woken by WOL"
exit 0
2. Make it executable/
3. Put into the server's custom configuration box this
Code:
client-connect /jffs/scripts/ovpn-client-connect.sh
4. Restart the OpenVPN server. Note that if there is a problem, like not making the script executable, the server will not start.

I got it to WOL, the BIOS had a couple of settings, i noticed that the LED was not lit on the ethernet when power off, there was a setting that said 'C state' and another setting that mention the PSU being in a certain state, i changed both and it booted, however, i did not a second time untill power cycle so needs the arp setting done. So i know WOL is working as far as the mobo is concerned

that is why an arp -s "ip" "mac" command is needed so that WOL can work ; this is what he probably refers to when he mentioned "by adding something perm" ...

ARP, Thats the word i was looking for, i remember typing to see a line perm or something to check the line existed. I dont remember how i did this yet.

EDIT: just found my own thread https://www.snbforums.com/threads/help-setting-static-arp.39823/

i will read up. Seems to be some answers from you @ColinTaylor

EDIT2: hmmm, seems the problem i was having back then is that the router was being switched off over night so iwould have to ring the house and rely on someone switching the server on, the router and server now reside with me and the router remains on 24/7 the server i do not wish to be on 24/7

EDIT3: Have i made the static arp correctly ?
Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC86U 384.19_0 Fri Aug 14 19:19:51 UTC 2020
classcomputers@RT-AC86U-AAA8:/tmp/home/root# arp -s
arp: need host name
classcomputers@RT-AC86U-AAA8:/tmp/home/root# arp -s 192.168.11.122 D4:5D:64:F0:C
0:F6
classcomputers@RT-AC86U-AAA8:/tmp/home/root# arp
? (147.12.206.1) at 48:f8:db:c2:81:24 [ether]  on eth0
? (192.168.11.122) at d4:5d:64:f0:c0:f6 [ether] PERM on br0
classcomputers@RT-AC86U-AAA8:/tmp/home/root#

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!