WPA2-Personal vs WPA2/WPA3 Personal

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

neil0311

Been searching and trying to find clarity around those two network security settings. I have mostly modern devices with OS's that support WPA3, but some older devices and IOT devices that may/do not. Does the WPA2/WPA3 Personal in the Asuswrt wireless settings provide WPA3 for devices that support and fallback to WPA2 for devices that don't? Is that how that setting is intended?

Hawk

Been searching and trying to find clarity around those two network security settings. I have mostly modern devices with OS's that support WPA3, but some older devices and IOT devices that may/do not. Does the WPA2/WPA3 Personal in the Asuswrt wireless settings provide WPA3 for devices that support and fallback to WPA2 for devices that don't? Is that how that setting is intended?
Correct, when you select wpa2/wpa3. Devices which support wpa3 will use it and rest will use wpa2 for their encryption.

neil0311

Correct, when you select wpa2/wpa3. Devices which support wpa3 will use it and rest will use wpa2 for their encryption.
Is it worth using it in practicality, or just stick with WPA2-Personal? Any known issues associated with WPA3/WPA2?

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Yes, lots of known issues. Depending on your client mix, router, firmware version, etc. WPA3 isn't prime time yet (for all).

The best results (i.e. no issues related to these settings) are all on WPA2 or all on WPA3. The mix is the nix. ;)

Not hard to test though if all your devices can use WPA3 or not.

Or, WPA2/WPA3, as required by the client device.

But what I would not spend a second on is trying to 'fix' why it works or not (just use tried and true WPA2 at that point).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!