What's new

WPA2/WPA3-Personal, weird description

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

panni

Regular Contributor
Hey,

I've just tried switching from WPA2-Personal to WPA2/WPA3-Personal.

In the current beta, I see this notice popping up (quite badly translated I guess):
*If the Authenticatoin Method is WPA2/WAP3-Personal, the Protected Management Frames will be Capable.

What exactly does that mean? I know that WPA3 supports Protected Management Frames, but why is the option there for WPA2 as well?

Edit: Does that mean that even if it's disabled, it will be set to "Capable"?
Edit 2: Scratch that, yes it does.

Just needs some slightly better translation I guess.

Hey,

I've just tried switching from WPA2-Personal to WPA2/WPA3-Personal.

In the current beta, I see this notice popping up (quite badly translated I guess):

What exactly does that mean? I know that WPA3 supports Protected Management Frames, but why is the option there for WPA2 as well?

Edit: Does that mean that even if it's disabled, it will be set to "Capable"?
Edit 2: Scratch that, yes it does.

Just needs some slightly better translation I guess.

What are Protected Management Frames?​

Protected Management Frames (PMF) provide protection for unicast and multicast management action frames. Unicast management action frames are protected from both eavesdropping and forging, and multicast management action frames are protected from forging. They augment privacy protections already in place for data frames with mechanisms to improve the resiliency of mission-critical networks. PMF is required for all new certified devices.

Thank you, I can Google. This was specific to the wording and the difference between Capable and Enabled.

Thank you, I can Google. This was specific to the wording and the difference between Capable and Enabled.
Enable - Do it
Capable - Do it if you want to

You can Google those terms, too. While English is not the first language for many of the Asus programmers, they get terms correct the majority of the time. I am sure their work is scrutinized by committee and debated to select the verbiage that the greater percentage of users will understand. This in spite of users not having sufficient knowledge of the native language to fully function.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!