What's new

Write speeds of rsnapshot to locally mounted network drive seem to be slow.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zerophase

Occasional Visitor
I'm using sshfs to mount a Seagate Backup Plus Desktop drive locally. Rsnapshot has been writing the first backup of my Linux system to it for just over an hour. I think it's writing about 98 gigs worth of files. I definitely expect the first backup to take longer than subsequent backups, but with that being said I'm just wondering if there's any tuning improvements for the write speed. I'm getting about 8.0 MiB/s sending from the computer to the router.

hdparm(run on the router) and dd (run locally) shows the disk read and write speeds as:
Timing cached reads: 662 MB in 2.00 seconds = 330.21 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 3.04 seconds = 21.07 MB/sec

10240+0 records in
10240+0 records out
83886080 bytes (84 MB) copied, 21.3329 s, 3.9 MB/s

I can't get dd to print out the speed of the disk writes when run on the router. Do I need to update dd through Entware? Not sure which package would have that.

I noticed the router ethernet ports are running at 1500 mtu, and I changed the computer's ethernet port to 9000 mtu.

I turned the memory buffering optimization on with drop_caches=0

The router is an ac5300, so I think I should be able to get faster transfer speeds. Anyone able to help?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!