What's new

Writethrough SSD cache?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dsjstc

New Around Here
Basically I'm looking for a higher-risk, higher-performance version of the Drobo 5N.

It doesn't seem too much to ask for a 2-disk or 4-disk home NAS that gets most of its performance with writethrough caching of HD access through a modestly sized SSD. But I can't find anything in the SOHO space except Drobo's offering.

Am I missing something?

What you are missing is the fact that Drobo is proprietary and in my opinion highly suspect (when data safety and availability is in question).

I don't have a suggestion for you except possibly the QNAP 4/6/870 Pro (just a guess) or those NAS units with the 10G network option.

When Drobo's fail - they fail epically and completely from what I've read.

When you ask for higher risk; the Drobo gives you that in spades.

Not artificial to the manufacturers. This is how they differentiate between what mere mortals can buy to what big corporations can buy (at $100K a pop entry level 'solutions').

Basically I'm looking for a higher-risk, higher-performance version of the Drobo 5N.

It doesn't seem too much to ask for a 2-disk or 4-disk home NAS that gets most of its performance with writethrough caching of HD access through a modestly sized SSD. But I can't find anything in the SOHO space except Drobo's offering.

Am I missing something?

Wouldn't one of the "hybrid disks" (SSD + magnetic) be transparent to the operating system that it is caching?

PS, opinion alert: Drobo-not.

I could find one reference to hybrid drives at least for qnap: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=182&t=70698

Doesn't seem too positive in terms of performance. I have done performance testing of windows storage spaces with parity, + SSD drive caching, and saw about 150MB/s writes, and 900 MB/s reads with six Hitachi 4TB drives, and 2 x Intel 530 SSD drives set up as journaling/cache drives. That write performance would be fine on Gigabit with a few users, (and no dedicated raid controller!), however Raid 5 writes were more in the 500MB/s using just the six disks and a $170 RocketRaid 2720...no SSD's required.

Given that the storage unit may see 10 workstations saving images simultaneously (each at 50-100MB/s or more), SSD caching, at least with windows storage spaces in a parity arrangement was not so great. I will test it out though on the TS-470 and see what results.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!