What's new

WRT1200AC OpenVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

truoc

Regular Contributor
Hello everyone. I hope I post this in the correct spot, but if not feel free to move it. I currently have a WRT1200AC version 1 and updated the firmware on 12/21/16 to version 1.0.5.177401. I noticed there is an OpenVPN option and I thought this would be a great thing to set up for when I'm at school or away from home and have to connect to open Wi-Fi. I set it up following the instructions given on their support site and downloaded the OpenVPN client software and the config file I need to my laptop. I imported the config file in the OpenVPN client and click connect. It goes through a few dialogs and says I'm connected to 172.x.x.x which is the IP given by my router. How does OpenVPN on this model work exactly? Is all of the traffic I use on the open Wi-Fi network being sent through my router at home and if so how can I be sure of that? Is my IP address supposed to change when I'm connected to my home router?

I contacted Linksys support today via the phone and the support person I talked to said he had no idea OpenVPN was even supported on the WRT1200AC and his system only showed the WRT1900AC as being OpenVPN ready. He informed me it must have been enabled with the new firmware, but wasn't sure it was fully implemented and nobody there knew if it was. Anyone else with this model of router and have used this feature?

Was always kinda worried about this as a check-box feature... sounds like Linksys support isn't quite ready there...

Was always kinda worried about this as a check-box feature... sounds like Linksys support isn't quite ready there...

Yeah kind of makes me not even want to use it anymore. It's a nice router, but it was only holding me over until I received my replacement Ubiquiti access point which should come next week sometime. I thought the OpenVPN feature would be very helpful for me for the reasons I mentioned, but if it isn't fully implemented then it's of no use.