What's new

WRT160n: Slow wired speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

germ

Occasional Visitor
I have a problem and perhaps somebody here can point me in the right direction.

I have installed a new AT&T DSL dry loop at nominal 6 Mbps down, 768 up. My setup is:
- Motorola Speedstream 5100 DSL modem
- Linksys WRT160n v. 1 with DD-WRT firmware
- D-Link Gigabit switch

When I do a speed test with the computer directly attached to the modem, I get ~5 Mbps down, 600+ up. But when I attach the computer to en Ethernet port on the Linksys (or through the switch), I only get ~1.1 down, 260 up. The same when I remove the connection to the switch.

I can't believe the 160n is so bad. Is something wrong with the hardware? I found a post on the linksys web site that suggests lowering the MTU to 1350. I haven't tried that yet. Any thoughts?

You shouldn't have to mess with MTU. Check that you don't have any QoS features kicked in. Or maybe just reset to factory defaults.

Did you try the router before you installed DD-WRT? Had you used it with another service and gotten higher throughput?

You shouldn't have to mess with MTU. Check that you don't have any QoS features kicked in. Or maybe just reset to factory defaults.

Did you try the router before you installed DD-WRT? Had you used it with another service and gotten higher throughput?

Thanks for your reply. I will re-check my settings.

The router has been on DD-WRT for a long time, so no, I have not checked it with the factory firmware and I have no intention of doing so. I may upgrade to the latest DD-WRT firmware, though.

I have never used this router with another service and got a higher throughput. It's hard for me to try this, but I could bring it to work.