What's new

WRT1900AC slow 5ghz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Anthony Richa

New Around Here
Hello. I have Spectrum's 400/20 speeds and I have the Netgear CM700 modem which is well capable of handling those speeds with the WRT1900AC router with the extended antennas that I purchased from Linksys. When it is directly connected I will get over 400mbps but on the 5ghz band I will get around 230mbps download. My phone does have an AC adapter as well as my laptop and the channel on the router is set to Auto. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do to make sure I get the 400 down on the 5ghz band?

- What channel?
- What channel width?
- What features do your clients support?

On a 2x2 5GHz client running at 80MHz channel width, you should be able to get around the 400Mbps mark if you have clean airspace. Topping out around the 200Mpbs mark leads me to think you are either on a 40MHz channel or you only have a 1x1 client.

- What channel?
- What channel width?

On a 2x2 5GHz client running at 80MHz channel width, you should be able to get around the 400Mbps mark if you have clean airspace. Topping out around the 200Mpbs mark leads me to think you are either on a 40MHz channel or you only have a 1x1 client.
- What channel?
- What channel width?

Everything on the router is set to default. All the cabling is new and same with the 32 x 8 modem. I tried media prioritization and that didn't do anything. Firmware is up to date. I've gotten 375 down when I change the server on the speed test app but the local server is pushing out 240ish max

What kind of traffic shows up in your neighborhood when you run a scan? If your airspace is fairly congested and your neighbors are using the same channels, unless you have clean airspace as Michael said, you can try changing to one less crowded. If there are other routers nearby using 5Ghz you could change the width to 40Mhz, just to check the effect on your traffic; many other threads cover similar issues with your 2.4 and 5 Ghz band adjustments; just a suggestion but try your search-fu in the forum and see if anything others have experienced look like it might help. The wiki is your friend. Cheers and good luck.

One of the "fun" things about the Marvell driver is that it does just that, based on distance and signal quality... works pretty well to keep the connection going and the airspace clean, but it's an odd duck if one is used to broadcom

What kind of traffic shows up in your neighborhood when you run a scan? If your airspace is fairly congested and your neighbors are using the same channels, unless you have clean airspace as Michael said, you can try changing to one less crowded. If there are other routers nearby using 5Ghz you could change the width to 40Mhz, just to check the effect on your traffic; many other threads cover similar issues with your 2.4 and 5 Ghz band adjustments; just a suggestion but try your search-fu in the forum and see if anything others have experienced look like it might help. The wiki is your friend. Cheers and good luck.

I've tried changing just to 40 mhz only and that didn't really work. Also put the channel on 161. I live in a neighborhood so there are a lot of other WiFi networks around me. I just want to make sure that this is capable of the 400 down on the 5ghz band. When directly connected it is. If anything I may look into a new router but I want to try everything I can before I switch it out

Just wanted to be sure we were on the same page; you do realize that the 400-down bandwidth that Spectrum provides for your home internet connection, isn't the same type of speed your WiFi devices may/may not communicate to the router over the Asus's 5-Ghz band inside your home, before that traffic exits your router then modem to the outside world on the internet via the 20 gb broadband pipe connection? I think that's what I meant; pardon if I misunderstood. Good luck.

Just wanted to be sure we were on the same page; you do realize that the 400-down bandwidth that Spectrum provides for your home internet connection, isn't the same type of speed your WiFi devices may/may not communicate to the router over the Asus's 5-Ghz band inside your home, before that traffic exits your router then modem to the outside world on the internet via the 20 gb broadband pipe connection? I think that's what I meant; pardon if I misunderstood. Good luck.

-Linksys WRT1900AC
-Netgear CM700 Modem
-New cabling
-Direct Connect gets 400 down 20 up
-Phone and Laptop both AC adapters
-Latest Firmware

I've tried only setting to a certain channel and width as well. I have the extended antennas as well that I bought from Linksys. I was just seeing if there was anything else I can do in the settings that I haven't done yet.

Anthony, You've probably already checked in with your ISP's higher levels of technical support to confirm on their end your modem is delivering what you're paying. I listen to our ISP techs; they've managed our modem quite well without issues for years, nice to stay on good terms with them. If the ISP says your Netgear router is performing, the next step, other than continuing to try different settings would be to replace the router. Not a sales pitch, but unless you're adverse to Asus routers, the current models will deliver great 2.4-G AC coverage. Asus recently rolled out AIMesh which you may/may not want/need if an AP would do. We've used/recommended RMerlin's fork of Asus firmware for years. If there's a feature you need or something you want to tweak, you can do it with Merlin's fork. If you have an extremely large area you can add an AP and have plenty of speed for 5G. Hang in there and good luck.

Anthony, You've probably already checked in with your ISP's higher levels of technical support to confirm on their end your modem is delivering what you're paying. I listen to our ISP techs; they've managed our modem quite well without issues for years, nice to stay on good terms with them. If the ISP says your Netgear router is performing, the next step, other than continuing to try different settings would be to replace the router. Not a sales pitch, but unless you're adverse to Asus routers, the current models will deliver great 2.4-G AC coverage. Asus recently rolled out AIMesh which you may/may not want/need if an AP would do. We've used/recommended RMerlin's fork of Asus firmware for years. If there's a feature you need or something you want to tweak, you can do it with Merlin's fork. If you have an extremely large area you can add an AP and have plenty of speed for 5G. Hang in there and good luck.

Thank you sir for your help. I appreciate it

Glad to help whenever possible, I missed the edit blip where it should've read '2.4-5Ghz AC' WiFi coverage. Oops:)

messerchmidt; agreed, then it should be more agreeable than flashing to stock from scratch yet again.

Last edited:
400 Mbps is "doable" but there are a lot of variables involved to getting there; clear channel (e.g, other devices and WiFis not encroaching on your airspace), channel width, distance, the actual client's capability, etc.)

I'm going to refer you to the Tim Higgins' review of your router and his testing methodology.

Yes, he did achieve 400 Mbps but he had a capable client, clear airspace, was six feet away from the router and was using a channel width of 80 MHz. As he moves through his test suite speeds drop and he reports an "average" of 200 Mbps.

Michael, etc. are spot on with their comments and hopefully the links above will offer some insights.

BTW: There is a big difference between wired and wireless. Wired is the gold (well, copper anyway) standard. It eliminates so many variables. You've already used wired to prove that your ISP is really delivering 400 Mbps.

Wireless is shared. Not only do you share bandwidth you share a (sometimes challenging, sometimes hostile) environment; yours and your neighbors'. Sometimes something as simple as a device sitting on the edge of your WiFi area will pull down wireless performance for everyone. Sometimes it's a baby monitor. Tweaking is fun. Beer and cigars help. So might this "sticky".

It might be fun to have both devices run an Internet speed test at the same time. Each is getting 200 Mbps now. If both get 200 Mbps at the same time well, that's 400 <lol>

Last edited: