What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If you were to buy one... which one would you buy?

• Total voters
I recently got the RT-AC86U and the router is a beast. Handles traffic load really well and WIFI range is great. The fact that it's the successor to the popular RT-AC68U is a plus. Put Asuswrt0-Merlin on it and forget it as it can tackle internet speeds with barely a flutter. Very impressed with it. Asus routers have never failed me :) They have always been reliable. Had my RT-N66U for years. Worth every penny.

I don’t understand why people are choose the ASUS when snb ranked the x4s one of the best routers on the market right now?

I don’t understand why people are choose the ASUS when snb ranked the x4s one of the best routers on the market right now?

I've give you three reasons:
1. Asuswrt-Merlin
2. Asuswrt-Merlin
3. Asuswrt-Merlin

What if I don’t use customs firmware, so besides firmware the x4s has better wireless 5ghz performance then the ASUS

People don't necessarily have the same criteria as used by the ranking. The ranking focuses on wireless performance. Truth is, when the difference between #1 and #2 is an order of 2-5% in throughput, other factors can be more important, like better OpenVPN support, or more flexibility to customize your configuration. Let's face it, nobody would see any measurable difference between, say, 550 or 525 Mbps on their wifi connection. That's why when people are debating between various high end models, I generally advise to focus on the software features rather than on the throughput/range factor, as these are generally all very close to one another.

The high-end market has moved to a point where software will distinguish products rather than raw wireless range/performance, which is getting as good as it can get with the laws of physics being the limiting factor. That's why these past few years you've seen high-end routers start focusing more on adding new features.

When comparing a low-end to a high-end model however, that's another story.

I'm thinking about replacing my trusty AC68U and don't know whether to go for the AC86U or Netgear R7800. Even after spending hours researching them I can't decide.

It is true that today's routers with the same # of streams tend to perform more alike than different. But the #1 marketing tool remains the big number on the box because it works for the mass market buyer.

Tbat aside, the reason the Ranker weights wireless performance higher than wired is because coverage and speed are the reason most people look for new routers.

Finally, as Merlin said, the Charts and Rankers reflect only performance, not features, reliability or any other factors.

Know your needs, do your research, buy, try and return and move on to the next product if your first choice doesn't work for you.