What's new

x86/x64 router build advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

strumf666

Occasional Visitor
I am considering using a PC as a home router (again). I had a pfsense build some time ago, but it was far too advanced and complicated for me and I made it a bit clumsy with different subnets, additional access points... and it lacked features like torrent client/plugin and nas. A few years ago I noticed higher models of home routers got support for more or less everything I wanted. Great, I got myself an asus RT-AC87R. Soon after I installed merlin sw on it. But, even though it support everything I want (and some more) it doesn't really deliver. Too many active torrents is a problem, transfer speed to and from attached hdd is a problem, occasionally even the hdd can't be accessed... To get to the point, I would like to build a cheap pc based router running something like asuswrt/merlin, because it offers what I need and is simple enough to use, but I am not to familiar with either sw or hw so I would appreciate some advice. AC87R will probably be demoted to an access point at that time, or sold. As for the wired part I use two gigabit switches so the PC router would probably only need 2 network ports, unless a guest wifi would require one as well.
I have or will have a couple of win10 computers, android phones, tablets, TVs, AVRs, home-robots,... the usual stuff.
Thank you for your advice :)

This looks like an feasible starting point - https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/J3455M/index.asp

Last edited:
I don't get it. Why are you trying to do everything AND route on a router?

If you are going out of your way to build an x86 box, then you can run anything non-routing on there and leave your existing router for routing.

I would like to have a single box for everything, as AC87R was supposed to be. I have a setup you mentioned, a win10 htpc for DL&NAS behind the ac87r, but I don't use it much for its primary use (HTPC) anymore, hence the idea to consolidate :)

Last edited:
If you felt that pfSense was too complicated and clumsy, I highly doubt you will get too far on getting what you want out of an x86 type setup. Other than m0n0wall, I don't think it gets much simpler than pfSense from a build, point and click type setup on x86.

I would suggest keeping your current router in place doing what it does best....routing. Then look into some type of VM platform to run on your HTPC so you can toy with various other platforms and functions. For example, you could install VirtualBox on there, leaving your Win10 in place for other functions, while you learn more about pfSense as a VM or some other distribution to handle your other functions.

I think Untangle may be a bit easier to install than pfsense for a router. If you want to try Untangle with your current router Untangle has a transparent bridge mode to run behind a router which will allow you to test it. It takes a little more horsepower than pfsense to run.

If you felt that pfSense was too complicated and clumsy, I highly doubt you will get too far on getting what you want out of an x86 type setup. Other than m0n0wall, I don't think it gets much simpler than pfSense from a build, point and click type setup on x86.

monowall is essentially dead - pfSense 2.3 and later have some very nice setup wizards that get things working, but for the novice, introducing complexity with VLAN's and what not can lead to a bad experience...

pfSense assumes one has a level of networking knowledge - in the right hands, it's incredibly flexible

OP should consider some of his apps to run on something other than the network gateway... torrents and media serving can be done outside of the GW, either via another machine, or a dedicated NAS.

Well, if pfsense is the most recommended distro, then I suppose I'll set it up again, but since it doesn't offer nas and torrent functionality then I need to use VM to run it and windows on the pc, which I would rather avoid, since I am not familiar with VMs at all. I'll learn if I have to...
How is the pfsense support for wifi cards? When I was last using it was pretty limited, N nics were around but only b/g were supported and only select chipsets. Regarding my current routing needs, I have a simple setup, 1xWAN (wired), 1xLAN(wired),1xWIFI (guest+home, home bridged with LAN). For the rare occasions when my ISP is down, it would perhaps be useful to have an option of pluging an usb 3/4G dongle, provided I wouldn't need more time to set it up, than ISP to make repairs, but this isn't a priority at all.

Last edited:
Sophos XG Firewall Home Edition is an interesting alternative to the usual pfsense/IPFire solutions:

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-xg-firewall-home-edition.aspx

I briefly tested it a year ago, and it was fairly simple to navigate.

However, like others said, whatever the solution you chose, just make sure that you dedicate the router to routing duties, and move torrenting/file sharing to a better suited device (either a NAS or a small PC).

Thanks for info, will take a look at sophos-xg-firewall.
Ok, not much has changed regarding wifi nic support, I see. Is it possible to use a dedicated AP for both home and guest wifi or would I need 2 APs?
Considering most of you are adamant NAS&torrenting and routing should be separate, what's your take one most novadays routers which offer all of those in one box? Is the problem pc vs a dedicated router or is it equally bad no matter the architecture&OS?

Considering most of you are adamant NAS&torrenting and routing should be separate, what's your take one most novadays routers which offer all of those in one box?

Marketing gimmick mostly. Just a feature to put on the box. Sure, it works - but very inefficiently, will negatively impact router performance, and create a security risk at your primary security level - the router fronting your network.

I have been toying with the Sophos XG for the past few weeks as a possible replacement for my pfSense box....and I for sure do not find it obvious to navigate. It is easy to make work in the most basic manner, but not obvious on how some of the rules and features interact and are applied.

I always thought Untangle was easier to setup and configure than Sophos. Played with Sophos many years ago, I want to say version 9. It may be a little different now.

I always thought Untangle was easier to setup and configure than Sophos. Played with Sophos many years ago, I want to say version 9. It may be a little different now.

Untangle is one I've never tried, will have to do so sometime. (Benefits of running Xen on the new Qotom, I can easily setup new test systems)

I played again with Sophos last week. Basic configuration is pretty simple, it gets more complicated once you jump into more advanced configurations such as port forwarding. But I like the fact that it comes with an IDS, IPS and some sort of DPI-based traffic shaping (at least it seemed to be the case for VoIP).

if you want an all in one your choices are a decent linux OS (not ubuntu) or windows server. I suggest openSUSE and its easier to configure it than pfsense for the initial if you know what you're doing but after that for the same features like IDS it can get more complicated.

Not only that, you'll need a decent wifi card, some good server NICs for multiple ports, perhaps a RMerlin to help you configure after you've bought him some beers,

Im surprised you can fully use an asus AC87R but that sounds like a refurbished AC87 which if it is not based on qualcom/broadcom i would not suggest.

There are some all in ones you could buy that are a little user friendly, ubiquiti is one of them but they dont mix router and wifi together.

Untangle is one I've never tried, will have to do so sometime. (Benefits of running Xen on the new Qotom, I can easily setup new test systems)

Xen - also consider KVM - better performance, and easier to set up depending on the host OS. Many public VPS providers have gone down that path (because... cloud).

Xen - also consider KVM - better performance, and easier to set up depending on the host OS. Many public VPS providers have gone down that path (because... cloud).
I have a customer with about 150 VMs under Xen. It's technology I'm familiar with and has proven rock solid for years for us. I already have a production VM running on my Qotom.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

I have a customer with about 150 VMs under Xen. It's technology I'm familiar with and has proven rock solid for years for us. I already have a production VM running on my Qotom.

As long as it works - Xen and KVM offer similar functionality...