What's new

Xbox 360 only connecting at 5.5Mbps to RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Quad5Ny

Occasional Visitor
For some reason my 360S will only connect at a rate of 5.5Mbps on Wireless N (B/G works fine). Manually changing the rate in the router System console (wl rate 54) fixes the problem temporarily.

I've tried doing a Factory Reset on the 360, changing any setting that might be relevant on the router and even put a Airport Express right next to the 360 (it doesn't do any better).

Does anyone else have trouble with their RT-N66U and a Xbox 360 Slim while using 11n?

Thank-you for linking me to that thread bluepoint, but at this point (until I investigate more) I believe the 360 Slim is negotiating the wrong Link Rate and it has nothing to do with my router (details after the break).

---

My 2012 AirPort Express does almost exactly the same thing (see box below) and it has a completely different chipset (Atheros vs Broadcom). The only difference is instead of connecting at 5.5Mbps it connects at 11Mbps.

So now there is more than one chipset having trouble. I really think this is a problem Microsoft has to fix. :mad: And they won't unless enough people complain.

360 downloading while connected to AirPort Express:
What your looking at here with the AirPort Express is the link speed while connected to N is 11Mbps limiting downloads to about 800KB/s. Yet when forced to B/G the link speed is 54Mbps letting the download go much quicker (1.5MB/s).

---

In comparison the my RT-N66U link speed while connected to N only manages 5.5Mbps and about 400KB/s. With the RT-N66U set to G it manages a 54Mbps link and about 2MB/s downloads.

P.S. This is the second time I've had bad experiences with Marvell wireless chipsets. The first was the Marvell chip in the PS3, it refuses to work normally without CTS Protection on (even though every other device I have does).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!