What's new

Xbox Game storage on NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KenZ71

I've been looking into this for a while but can't find the answer I want.

So, got an xbox running low on storage space for games. Microsoft says just hang a USB drive off the console and game on. I don't like that since, we'll what happens if / when the drive crashes?

So, how would I use my NAS with redundant drives in place of the USB? Of course gigabit network is in place.

So, got an xbox running low on storage space for games. Microsoft says just hang a USB drive off the console and game on. I don't like that since, we'll what happens if / when the drive crashes?

Hang the USB off the XBox - the drive will likely last longer than your interest in playing any games... and if the drive crashes, the DLC is still on your account, so you can download it again...

Local network share storage is likely going to be blocked - one could DD the drive as an image perhaps, thinking outside of the box...

No!

Sorry I just don't want to start down that path. that would mean having a USB drive or three then it leads to more. More drives means more lost drives or data.

Xbox supports full HDDs for use, I have a 300GB attached to mine. The NAS is only available for DLNA media sharing. There is not need to backup the drive because you can always re-download the content. If you really want to fix your problem, upgrade the HDD in your Xbox, it's not that hard.