What's new

Xbox Live NAT error - RT-AC87R

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

blueorb

New Around Here
Hi all.

New guy here. I am a bit of a newb trying to figure my way through this so please bear with me.

My old router died (Netgear N600) and just recently purchased a RT-AC87R wireless router. I have my xbox connected but I continue to get the NAT error (NAT is set to moderate. Should be set to OPEN) when I test my network connection.
First I enabled UPnP. When that failed I disabled UPnP and enabled Port Forwarding with the following ports on the list:
- port 53 (Protocol UDP and TCP)
- port 80 (Protocol TCP)
- port 88 (Protocol UDP)
- port 3074 (Protocol UDP and TCP)

I am still getting the error. I was just speaking with a Justin at Asus online support and, after confirming that I had no other routers in use and after asking what the first few digits of my WAN IP were [71.68], he basically told me there nothing more he could do.
I never had this problem with my Netgear router.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

The XBox NAT stuff seems to be like playing the lottery. Nobody seems to know for sure what "moderate" NAT really means. From a technical point of view, you are either using NAT or you aren't - the term "moderate NAT" makes no sense. I hate it when marketing geeks try to meddle into technical stuff and create new terms that mean nothing concrete, just because "it sounds cool". /rant

Try disabling HW acceleration (LAN -> Switch Control) as well as QoS if you had enabled it. Some people reported resolving the issue (whatever issue "moderate NAT" actually means).

You definitely want UPNP and the Firewall to be both Enabled.

is the xbox connected via wired or wireless? tried both ways? i only ask because i've heard of funky issues between wlan and lan in the past with other firmwares and this device is using a pretty new setup. i don't honestly expect it to make a difference, but stranger things have happened

Update router to latest firmware.
Reset router.
If you still have issues, add Xbox to DMZ.
If the issue is not resolved, get a PS Potatoe or use older firmware until Asus grows a brain tissue.

Had same issue with Xbox one with latest firmware 376.1665 (merlin 376.44), went back to using older firmware on ac68 router.

Last edited:
Disable dmz and remove the port forwarding

Assign the IP to to the xbox with Automatic DHCP not static on the router

Tick Xbox enhanced

UPNP on.

Turn off router for 5min

Set everything on the xbox to automatic.

Turn off xbox for 5min

Start Router, wait 5 min

Start Xbox

Say a quick prayer to the god Merlin.

Check NAT