What's new

Xbox One NAT type strict even with firewall disabled

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pulpv

New Around Here
I hope I'm posting in the right place...

So I've tried everything I can think of to get my NAT to open and am desperate for help... Not being able to find a solution for hours my current configuration is: reset my router -ASUS RT-AC5300- to factory settings, firmware fully upgraded, UPNP disabled , the static IP is set for the xbox one and I put that address into the DMZ which is enabled, I then did a hard reset on both the Xbox One and Router and the nat type is still coming back strict.

I even temporarily completely disabled the firewall on the ASUS, did a hard reset on everything and the nat was still strict -not even moderate WTF, ha-.

I have now tried port forward, UPNP, DMZ, firewall off, disabling instant on on xbox -not all at the same time- hard resetting after every try and testing connection several times to no avail. I am out of ideas of what to try to troubleshoot this. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Update: I just when through trying all the above steps only plugged in this time. Still no luck. Argh.

What device is your RT-AC5300 plugged into on the WAN side? If it's another router you might have a double-NAT situation. Do you get a public IP address for the Asus' WAN interface (check it on the Network Map page)?

What device is your RT-AC5300 plugged into on the WAN side? If it's another router you might have a double-NAT situation. Do you get a public IP address for the Asus' WAN interface (check it on the Network Map page)?
The RT-AC5300 is plugged directly into the little antenna power source box -not sure the technical name- for the wifi antenna on our roof. I do have a WAN IP assigned, but I'm not sure what to do with this information. As you can probably tell I'm new at this and trying to learn, ha.

Then it sounds like you are behind another NAT device which is unsurprising given your description of your "Wi-Fi-based" internet feed.

Private IP ranges are:
10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

Carrier-grade NAT is in the range: 100.64.0.0 - 100.127.255.255

I'm guessing the WAN IP address shown on the router is in one of these ranges?

Can you explain a bit more about your internet service?

Yes, really all I can tell you is we have an antenna on our roof that aims at the ISP's tower in town. The RT-AC5300 is plugged directly into something called a switching gigabit power supply, which i assume also powers the antenna on the roof. We live in a small town so this setup is our only option. Please let me know if you need any more details. Thanks.

I think the only sensible course of action is to contact your ISP and explain the problem. Ask them if your router can be given a public IP address or put into the DMZ. They should understand the question. But I suspect that because of the way your internet is provided that might not be possible.

Just a quick update. My ISP, AWI Networks here in southern utah rocked it. I shot them an email yesterday explaining my problem, this morning I got a call that they had made some changes - he said they opened some ports, put me in a DMZ and assigned a IP Address - and now it works, my NAT is open, WOOT! Thanks again for your help Colin.

That's excellent news. It's so rare to find an ISP that actually provides customer service! :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online