What's new

XBOX Strict NAT VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jjackson19

New Around Here
Hi,

I am trying to do the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49UaGIDQpD0

If you dont want to watch the video to sum it up. Router>OpenVPN Client>XBOX

I bought a PrivateInternetAccess VPN and a ASUS RT-66U router. Installed 374.40 Merlin Firmware. Step one was good. Awesome firmware by the way.

So I set up the OpenVPN client (Private Internet Access). All is well at this point. Port Forward 7 Ports for the XBOX. Reset. Router is running the VPN and anyone connecting to the Router is behind the VPN.

Now here is my problem. I try to connect my XBOX 1 to the Asus Router and it works fine. Connects. Everything is good BUT the XBOX One is showing up as a STRICT NAT Type and I can barely connect to anyone to play against online. Maybe 1 out of 10 people I can connect to

Could someone please help me fix this? Ive tried to get into PuTTY but it will not let me write any scripts. Is there a way I can enable the following ports with my VPN running so I can have Open NAT and connect to everyone while being hidden behind the VPN:

Port 88 (UDP)
Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
Port 80 (TCP)
Port 500 (UDP)
UDP Port 3544 (UDP)
UDP Port 4500 (UDP)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Tried that and it worked for a minute then went to Strict NAT.

Thanks for the feedback, anything else you can suggest?

for starters. dont forward 53 or 80 to your xbox, neither of it is required and 53 is the dns port which can cause some issues if its port forwarded

unless your using a good vpn, dont even bother. 95%+ of vpn's are easy to hit offline. the only vpn i know that will get you very good ddos protection is cryptics vpn (its the only one i have seen survive a substantial attack). if u wanna give me an ip for that privateinternetaccess vpn i have no doubt my friend could have it down in under 3 minutes, and so can everyone else who knows what there doing. (ip stresser and anonymous stresser are pretty strong)

i tried strong vpn the other day for fun. then hit my own vpn ip to see if it would do anything. sure enough it didnt. and strong vpn is known to be much better then most vpn's (though it is pricy) so i dont know how i would expect privateinternetaccess vpn to be any better.

i have seen wicken shrapnels video before this though and it is a really good idea but as he said in the video it works for simple dos attacks and not really ddos attacks.

though you could take it to the next level. and use cryptics vpn. most of his servers have standard ddos protection (dont know exactly what that is) but his servers in montreal hosted by OVH have a claimed 500gbps protection. so if you happen to live close. i would consider that. i think you might have to be a member on hack forums to sign up for cryptics vpn though. i simply havnt tried cryptics vpn because i dont even know if he has seattle servers lol, been meaning to ask him. if he doesnt i wont be able to use it cause thats only place i will have acceptable connection

Last edited:
also look through the troubleshooting for xbox one. There are several issues they are having with ipv6 and the teredo they are using to convert ipv4 to ipv6 connections. I would guess it has more to do with that then the vpn or router or anything. If you are running ipv6 you could try disabling it in the router.

The troubleshooting on xbox live website is pretty good. Don't have an xbox one but looked through it a couple days ago to see more about there ipv6 stuff.